PVC2300 Standard Lens - What is it?

Unanswered Question
Mar 12th, 2010

I need to get a wider field of view from a Cisco PVC2300 but am not sure what lens to buy?

It is difficult to choose one when I cannot find the current mm of the stock lens.

Does anyone know?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Fri, 03/12/2010 - 05:29

Maybe I can help.   Look here to the additional types of lens you can purchase for your IP Camera:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/security/video_surveillance_lenses/index.html

The PVC2300 comes with the lens described in the datasheet, basically...

Sensor
1/4-in. progressive CCD sensor

Illumination
0.4LUX @ F1.7

Lens type
CS-mount lens, fixed focus; adapter also included for lenses that require more distance between sensor and lens

Focal length
500mm~infinity (for included lens)

Field of view
47º Diagonal (for included lens)

Video resolution
640 x 480 (VGA), 320 x 240 (QVGA), 160 x 120 (QQVGA)

Frame rate
1 to 30 frames per second (selectable)

Iris
Provides iris control for CS-mount auto-iris lens when attached

neillbirchenall Fri, 03/12/2010 - 05:51

Steve,

Thank you but I found that information as well.  My confusion lies with the fact that the lens is specified as 47º Diagonal and all of the optinoal lenses are listed in 3mm - 8mm and appear to be different depending on whether they are 1/3 or 1/4.

Do you know what the standard lens is in mm?  I have had a good look at it and it appears unmarked.

Thank you

Steven DiStefano Fri, 03/12/2010 - 06:23

hmmm....focal length is measured in mm

When I look at the PVC2300 datasheet I do see 500mm-infinity as its focal length.  is this not what you are looking for?

You can calculate what you need I think using this formula...

When calculating focal length (f)

f = D*I/W

where i=3.6mm for 1/3 inch CCD

...example I saw on a Good Morning techies webcast...

d = 200 meters , width (15 meeters)

f = (200x3.6)/15

f(mm) = 720/15

f = 48mm

Does this help?

neillbirchenall Fri, 03/12/2010 - 06:27

I think you are going a bit beyond me now.

:)

All I understand is that the standard lens is 47º.  Do you know wide angle view of any of the accesory lenses?  So I can see how wide I need to go to record everything I need to?

asarutan Fri, 03/12/2010 - 10:03

Nell,

The 2300 comes with a 6 mm lens. If you want wider lens you need to pick something below this number. Bear in mind that if you go really low you will get a "fish-eye" effect. I find that a 2.3 mm will give you quite a wide angle and a 1.3 mm will give you a pronounced fish-eye effect. If you want to use this camera with an IR lamp make sure the lens you get is IR compensated too, this will have a part number (or specs in mm) of the lens followed by the letters "IR".

Hope this helps.

Alan.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted March 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM
Stats:
Replies:6 Avg. Rating:
Views:1290 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard