Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS issue

anitachoi3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

Cisco 4500 serial product would be procured in the Data center. The OSPF, BGP, MSTP, RSTP, VLAN, Dot1Q ... etc to be configured on the device. There are two type of IOS, IP base and enterprise. Some vendors propose that IP base is enough to handle about protocols. Some vendors propose enterprise version because IP base IOS to be supported limited of routes. We would like to seek for your expertise to advise on which IOS to be suitable for us. Thanks

rdgs

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

anitachoi3 wrote:

Hi experts,

Cisco 4500 serial product would be procured in the Data center. The OSPF, BGP, MSTP, RSTP, VLAN, Dot1Q ... etc to be configured on the device. There are two type of IOS, IP base and enterprise. Some vendors propose that IP base is enough to handle about protocols. Some vendors propose enterprise version because IP base IOS to be supported limited of routes. We would like to seek for your expertise to advise on which IOS to be suitable for us. Thanks

rdgs

Anita

If you want BGP/OSPF then you need Enterprise Services. IP Base does not support advanced routing protocols.

You can check which features are supported with which IOS with Feature Navigator -

Feature Navigator

If you have vendors that are proposing IP Base will run BGP then you may want to point them to Feature Navigator too

Jon

View solution in original post

Hello Anita,

Jon is right: there has been a Cisco router called C4500 but it is end of sale now

if you mean Catalyst 4500 you need the richest feature set, otherwise if it is a router your findings apply

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Anita,

You are going to need the Enterprise Services feature set to support the features you need. IP base will not support the advanced routing protocols you require. Please see the feature navigator for more detailed information.

HTH,

Mark

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

anitachoi3 wrote:

Hi experts,

rdgs

Anita

If you want BGP/OSPF then you need Enterprise Services. IP Base does not support advanced routing protocols.

You can check which features are supported with which IOS with Feature Navigator -

Feature Navigator

If you have vendors that are proposing IP Base will run BGP then you may want to point them to Feature Navigator too

Jon

Hi,

Attached please find the result I capture from the cisco web site. It seems that IP, IP plus can support BGP. Does it mean that IP base is suitable for me? or do I select the wrong items? please advise.

rdgs

Anita

Are we talking about a 4500 Catalyst switch or a 4500 router ?

If switch your search is not valid because it is for the 4500 router.

Jon

Hello Anita,

Jon is right: there has been a Cisco router called C4500 but it is end of sale now

if you mean Catalyst 4500 you need the richest feature set, otherwise if it is a router your findings apply

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi experts,

Sorry that it is vague in my preceding message, the equipment is Cat 4506. The services I required are BGP, OSPF and VLAN services. Is the IP base IOS more than enough? Please advise.

If the IPV6 is one of mandatory requirement, does ip base support it? please advise

rdgs

Hi,

If you want to configure IPV6 then you should have ADVANCED IP SERVICES.

Can you paste the output of the below command

#sh module

Regards

Karuppu

anitachoi3 wrote:

Hi experts,

Sorry that it is vague in my preceding message, the equipment is Cat 4506. The services I required are BGP, OSPF and VLAN services. Is the IP base IOS more than enough? Please advise.

If the IPV6 is one of mandatory requirement, does ip base support it? please advise

rdgs

Hmmm, i thought i had advised in my original post.

If you really do have vendors telling you to go with IP Base for BGP on a 4500 you might want to  consider using different vendors.

Jon

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Anita,

You are going to need the Enterprise Services feature set to support the features you need. IP base will not support the advanced routing protocols you require. Please see the feature navigator for more detailed information.

HTH,

Mark

Anita, you have been around long enough to know that Cisco has a pretty easy-to-use feature navigator that will list all the technologies and protocols that a particular feature set offers.

What you need to know, besides the technologies, is the hardware platform and supervisor module that the 4500 will be using.

For example, 12.2.53-SG1 is the latest realease of 12.2 mainline IOS that supports the 4500 with a Supervisor V. With that release, there is both an enterprise version and an IP Base version. When you select one to download, there will be a link to a page that has a complete list of all the releases' features.

Log on to Cisco's website with your CCO log-in and then click on this link below. Youll see what I mean.

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/DownloadCart.x?imageGuId=81EB297DFBB2526D21E498D0060BB6316AB86EED&action=d

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: