Views
Helpful
Replies

Benefits of using MGMT0 interface on N7K with dual supervisor

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could someone explain if there are any benefits in using the MGMT0 interface to configure the Nexus 7K with dual supervisor cards. We have two N7K's at a remote site, currently I just configure the switches using a dedicated vlan interface which passes no data traffic. If there are benefits to using this I would need to patch a cable from each mgmt0 interface on each supervisor back to the line cards which is why I can't see any benefit.

Each supervisor also has a CMP port but as we don't have an out of band network there is definatley no point in configuring this.

Thanks

Darren

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Darren,

no direct experience with Nexus up to now I see the use of management interfaces on 12000 GSR or similar devices.

They can be used for an out of band separated management network connected to a separate lan switch.

In the case of GSR in rommon the only interface they see is the management interface.

Being a remote site having a terminal server can be wise in order to save a travel to the site in case of issues.

An ISR router even a C3640 or C3660 with A/S serial interfaces can act as terminal server.

The device needs an indipendent way to reach your network, it can be a DSL line and you can deploy a GRE+IPSec tunnel over it.

Or you can have it connected to the network if you have two routing devices in remote site and two WAN links to reach it

It is more common in service provider environment to build a full out of band network.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card