Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC-4FXS/DID and VIC2-4FXO Caller-ID Support

tholemu84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering whether or not the VIC-4FXS/DID and VIC2-4FXO support the display of both name and number caller-ID.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt Bowler

11 Replies 11

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

According to the data sheets, yes...:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5365/product_data_sheet0900aecd801c595e.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a008010b355.html

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

I see that Caller ID is supported and I am assuming it is a given that both name and number are supported?  Just want to verify before moving further with a project.

Thank you sir,

Matt Bowler

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VIC-4FXS/DID cannot receive caller ID.

It is made to either connect analog phone or other device, or for analog DID service, that is kind of rare.

Consequently, it can generate, but never receive called ID:

Hi

They both support it, in different ways:

FXS = send caller ID

FXO = receive caller ID

One connects to the other... if you have FXS, then you need to send caller ID if you have a handset or other devices that wants to receive it.

When you receive caller-ID on an FXO, it could come from an FXS at the far end.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/cisco_ios_voice_configuration_library_glossary/vclclid.html

I don't recall seeing anything differentiating between support for name and number anywhere, so would presume (and then test) that both come together..

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

So if I am running a setup on a 1760 running CME with a VIC2-4FXO and two VIC-4FXS/DIDs with a total of eight internal lines and three external lines coming from the phone company, the internal phones connected to the VIC-4FXS/DIDs will not recieve caller ID information from outside calls?

Thanks,

Matt Bowler

Theoretically at least, they should... see the diagram part way down this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/cisco_ios_voice_configuration_library_glossary/vclclid.html

Your flow in this case is User D to User A.

Quote:

"A receives the calling number and name of D, provided that the PSTN subscriber line (408 555-1111) is enabled for Caller ID."

You'll note there are a few methods of picking up and sending out the caller-id = for example in the UK we have to use an obscure method (caller-id alerting dsp-pre-allocate, a hidden command last time I did this) to get it to work. No doubt if you are in the US life will be easier...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Thank you sir! This should be of great help to us.  I appreciate your time.

-Matt Bowler

Please note that you will have poor results using a 1760, because it's an old discontinued model that does not support current IOS.

You should use an UC520 for this, as it als suppoer directly the IP phones thta are to preferred over analog instruments.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

The setup is for a small restaurant business running eight extensions and analog phones.  Do you believe the performance will be very poor?

Thanks,

Matt Bowler

I do think so.

For example without "FXS SCCP Mode" there is no easy way to transfer a call, hold or just a speakerphone paging.

Also have you tought about voice mail? They may get business calls when they are closed.

These things are invariably requested.

I have a single 1760 installation (ebay bargain) and does the job, but they have all IP phones and the situation is very different than basic analog.

keith.colter
Level 1
Level 1

Matt

Did you have any luck with this?  I know you'll have no problems getting both incoming Calling Party Number/Name on the FXO card, but I'm quite certain you'll never get Name from the telco trunk on analog DID card.  As for Calling Number, I think (in theory) it should be attainable from the telco on the analog DID trunk, though I'd like to know if the 3rd Gen VIC3-2FXS-E/DID card will deliver it.

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: