SA-540-K9 routers rebooting on their own, any tips or fixes?

Unanswered Question

Hi All,

Our business just bought four SA-540-K9 routers which I believe claimed to be manufactured in Dec 2009.  And at first everything seem to come up roses.  However after about a  week I got a call in the early morning that internet access was down on one of our connections.  Then suddenly came back up.  When I went to check the router its system uptime was less than 13 minutes, so obviously it rebooted.  I then received another call today that a second router did the same thing.

Now we are running the latest firmware (Jan 2010 1.1.21) and I did read the known problems in the release notes and made sure items such as "UPnP" were not in use or enabled.  Also please note that we do not have licenses for the IPS function and are NOT running them in trials (we are not running IPS at all).

The routers have their DHCP server functions disabled and they just performing NAT functions.  No special Queuing or managment functions have been enabled at this time.  SNMP is off as is Bonjour and CDP.

What else can we look at?  We have seen routers that reboot themselves with previous products (such as the Linksys RV016s) and just had to reboot the routers every 5 days to control when that break down occured.  Our more recent routers were Netgear FVX-538 models and they never had any issues.  We have since just dropped in new SA-540-K9 routers right into the setup where our Netgears had been.

Any suggestions on what it turn off or check?

Also just as a note we have not been experiencing any problems with them while they are on in any way for both Data and Voice traffic.  So these reboots seem to be the only symptom I have to work with.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brian Bergin Mon, 03/22/2010 - 15:35

Are these units connected to a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)?  If not, that's the very first thing I'd look at.  I've found that many appliances are much more prone to reboots with power issues than a normal computer.  Our SA520 and all our other infrastructure is connected to an APC HS-500 http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BH500NET&total_watts=200 which works great and offers the added flexibilty of being remotely managable so you can reboot devices from a desk without having to go over to it if something gets hung up.

skalahas Wed, 03/24/2010 - 16:09

Hello,

Can you send me your config through a private message?

Thanks.

Sent config via private message function.

Also to the above poster.  I was not clear (and that was my fault).  The reboots on these 3 routers don't happen in sync.  One reboots after 5 days, one another 2 days later.  When I check the system uptimes they are days apart.  Even though I restart them all at the same time on a reboot schedule.

Brian Bergin Wed, 03/24/2010 - 16:59

If the 3 routers are in different locations I wouldn't expect power problems to happen at identical times.

I am having the same problem with an SA 520-K9 router.

I recently updated to firmware 1.1.42, and deployed this firewall to a new site. It replaced an aging Sonicwall that was plugged into a known good UPS.

Now our SA 520 is rebooting at least twice daily, sometimes more often.

I highly doubt that this is a power issue, as there are multiple devices plugged into the UPS, with only the SA 520 showing problems. Multiple ports on this UPS have been tried for the SA 520 as well.

michaelgroh Fri, 06/11/2010 - 07:44

I wish I had a solution for you. I have a SA 520W that is rebooting itself. I suspect it is only happening when someone is connected to it via VPN but I haven't proven it yet.

Two days wrestling with the VPN setup only to have it reboot every time you try to work remotely for more than 3 minutes. Frustrating...

michaelgroh Fri, 06/11/2010 - 07:59

Thanks for the reply! I was actually just doing what you suggested. I noticed other posters were disabling services so I ran through the router and disabled anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. My fingers are crossed as well. The 520 replaced a PIX 501 that ran for years without any trouble whatsoever.

bradley_hawkins Sun, 07/04/2010 - 05:06

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck with this issue, I'm having the same problem. Every day at 9pm (sometimes a little earlier) my client's SA540 reboots.

The appliance is running the latest firmware (1.1.42) and is connected to a UPS. I have disabled all network management features and enabled bandwidth profiles as suggested, IPS is also not in use and all firewall attack checks are turned off.

The only thing I have enabled is IPSec VPN (1 site-to-site and 1 software) and a few IPv4 port forwards. Having a few performance issues with the VPN, not sure if it's related but thats a problem for another day.

Any help is greatly appreciated, the client is not very impressed by the issues with this device.

Brad

Actions

This Discussion