Symmetric Internet - Response

Unanswered Question
Mar 13th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi Experts,

We have a symmetric internet leased connectivity to one of our client having capacity on 20Mbps.  When our client is testing upload/download from a speed test server they are getting different parameters in upload & download (at some moment i.e both parameters are noted when checking simaltaneously) but ideally it should be same due to symmetric nature of connectivity.

(On symmetric connectivity of 20 Mb will download and upload be close to or according 20Mb or they are would be according to 10Mb dwnld & 10 Mb upld

Important point is that when they are checking the speed on same server from other’s provider symmetric internet connectivity, they getting almost equal response on both upload & download i.e according to symmetric.

On suspection we have cross checked all our routing/hardware backend part but all are working up to the mark …my querry is …what (here i mean any setting or point to be taken care for symmetric connectivity) make a connectivity “Symmetric” so that we’ll only check that points for further observation.

Txns

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Laurent Aubert Sun, 03/14/2010 - 19:13
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

During the transfert, check all the links on the path and see which one is the bottleneck or congestioned. It could also be an issue with the TCP stack (if test is based on FTP for example). In this case check the TCP parameters which are negotiated (windows size, MSS,..).

HTH

Laurent.

Actions

This Discussion