cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.x - Best Practice for Large Report Mailboxes?

walshliam
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning, We have 150 mailboxes from Nurses to give shift reports in. The mailbox quota is 60MB and the message aging policy is on. Deletede messages are deletede after 14 days. The massage aging policy is system wide, and increasing the quota would cause storage issues. Is there a way to keep the message aging policy and reduce it for 1 group of users? Is there a way to bulk admin the mailbox quota changes?

Version 7.1.3ES9.21004-9

Thanks

9 Replies 9

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey bud, probably not the answer you want but here's the deal:

The Message Aging Policy is enabled/disabled system-wide.  If enabled, it can be disabled in the User Template or on a per user basis.  It cannot be customized on a per user or User Template level.  So, if you have it turned on and then disable it for a group of users inserted via a Template or on a per user basis, they are not subject to any message aging policies.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

just to clarify... editing a subscriber template does not affect any existing subscribers - the templates are used only when creating new subscribers (call handler templates work the same for handlers).  If you wish to change properties on groups of existing users you need to use bulk edit for that.

Thanks both for the quick reply, unfortunatly not the news I wanted

So, Using Bulk edit, I have found no way to change the mailbox quota.  Is there a tool available on Unitytools to do this? Can you think of any way around this issue? What do other organizations use as a message aging policy, I'm thinking 14 days is much too long no, perhap 3 days is better?

Thanks again

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Liam,

Just to add a note to the excellent tips from Jeff and Hailey (+5 each guys!) I

thought you would be interested in the new feature in the latest CUC 8.x

New Features for Cisco Unity Connection Version 8.0

● You can set message aging policies on a per-user basis.

http://www.cisco.ac/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps6509/data_sheet_c78-581627.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

That sounds promising, unfortunate due to so many bugs in the CM 7 versions, our management is extremly cautious now on CM and Unity upgrades. It will probably be quite some time before we move to 8

As for UC 8x, you're not alone.  I don't typically recommend going to an 8.0 release (no offense to Cisco).  Let things get vetted a bit and then start looking for the recommended stable version to migrate to.

As for bulk changes to mailbox store configurations for users, Jeff (Lindborg) may be able to correct me if I am wrong here.  But with the given tools, I don't think there is a way to bulk edit or update the mailbox info for users (i.e., turn on/off Message Aging Policy).  No access to those values via Bulk Edit and no associated fields in the BAT format either.

Now, with that said - no one knows better than Lindborg when it comes to Unity.  So I defer to him on that point.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

So far as I know bulk editing of quota values only showed up in 8.0 - they weren't stored as per user items (they were stored against the mailstore objects only) - I don't have a 7.1(3) handy to check but my 7.0 and 8.0 servers follow that at any rate.

BTW: The state of the software world in general (aggressive release schedules, dynamic featuare demands, shifting technology etc...)  discourages adoption of major releases on their first rev - pretty sure this isn't a Cisco specific bias ;->

Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it.

we'll find a work around until 8.1

How do I turn on message aging policy for existing users on a 7.x system?  The bulk edit tool does not offer a selection for message aging.   Currently, the user templates were not set to use the message aging policy and the customer wants it enabled.

We have configured the message aging policy on the server itself. 

We have changed the user templates/mailbox settings to use the new message aging policy

We were expecting to run the bulk edit tool to enable this on all existing users but can not find a way to do this....

How do we do this - version 7.1.5 Unity Connection

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: