Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Jumbo Frames

dkirby
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are having issues with throughput between two hosts over a 1GB link, I have gone through the normal process of the checking the circuit with the carrier. errors on the port speed/duplex mis match, tcp window size etc.

I am exploring the possibilty of using Jumbo frames but have seen the 6500's don't support jumbo frames?????. Is this correct and can anyone offer advice or point me in the direction of the document on the implementation of Jumbo frames?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

With the 6500 it is linecard dependant but the 6500 definitely does support Jumbo frames -

Catalyst jumbo frame support

Jon

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi DARREN,

6500s do support jumbo frames.  Please refere to this document on how to enable it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1048554

HTH

reza

Thanks all, I have those documents and it doesn't list the line cards we have (WS-6748-GE-TX) as being supported.

Also once enable, each device along the path from source to destination will need to be enabled for jumbo size frames otherwise fragmentation will take place.

Darren

Have a look at table 3 in the attached link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html

Your blades support up to 9216 bytes frame size.

Yes you will need end to end to avoid problems.

Jon

DARREN

This 10/100/1000 card does support jumbo frames:

WS-X6748-GE-TX for Enterprise and Service Provider Data Centers

As the premier modular multilayer Cisco switch for integrated data center switching, the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series now offers a new, high-performance 48-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet over copper module designed specifically for use with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 in data center and distribution layer deployments.

The WS-X6748-GE-TX features a 40-Gbps interconnection to the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720's switch fabric-ideal for high-demand, high-density Gigabit Ethernet requirements across all 48 ports.

Other Key Features include:

· Up to 386 high-performance 10/100/1000 Ethernet over copper ports in a single Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis

· Flexible, scalable, field-upgradable daughter card options to support full locally distributed forwarding through the DFC3A for investment protection and "pay as you grow" performance

· Jumbo frame support, up to 9000 bytes, commonly required in data centers.
Reza
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card