cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility between VS-S720-10G and WS-SUP720-3B?

acotelcom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody.

We are planning a migration from two 6509-E chassis with a WS-SUP720-3B each, to the same two chassis with a VS-S720-10G each, to add VSS support to the system, and I have a couple of questions:

I've been looking for some information about a possible "hot" migration with no risk of losing connection, by having a common time with the two supervisor cards living together (one of each model).  But the only doc I've found doesn't mention anything about it (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a7c74c.shtml. That would be the ideal solution, of course, but no info. about how to do it.

If that's not possible, I'd like to know if there could have some problem in the step of changing the supervisor model, as it's supposed we would have to remove the WS-SUP720-3B and then insert the VS-S720-10G with a complex configuration installed on the systems.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Acotelcom,

>> If that's not possible, I'd like to know if there could have some problem in the step of changing the supervisor model, as it's supposed we would have to remove the WS-SUP720-3B and then insert the VS-S720-10G with a complex configuration installed on the systems.

you cannot plug the new supervisor in another slot and expect the two to become an SSO pair they are different.

There are reports of attempts to do this with a Sup 720 3B with increased memory with a Sup 720 2BXL.

You will need to ask for a maintanance interval.

The configuration file should be likely similar to the current one.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Acotelcom,

>> If that's not possible, I'd like to know if there could have some problem in the step of changing the supervisor model, as it's supposed we would have to remove the WS-SUP720-3B and then insert the VS-S720-10G with a complex configuration installed on the systems.

you cannot plug the new supervisor in another slot and expect the two to become an SSO pair they are different.

There are reports of attempts to do this with a Sup 720 3B with increased memory with a Sup 720 2BXL.

You will need to ask for a maintanance interval.

The configuration file should be likely similar to the current one.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your answer, Giuseppe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card