Views
Helpful
Replies

NEXUS 1000v - How to prepare ESX nic ?

boub91
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody

I would like to know how to configure all nic interfaces of all ESX server that contain the VEM ou VSM module on vSphere client ?

* For ESX that contains the VSM module, I added another nic

* For ESX that contains the VEM module this is the default configuration

What changes may I have to do ?

Thank you

6 Replies 6

sudks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do you mean to add the physical NICs part of the VEM ?

If so :

I hope you have configured the Port Profiles for these Nics for upstream switch connectivity.

On VC

Select the VEM ESX host and then select the networking tab -> select the switch on the left side -> right click and click on to add host to DVS.

Then you will be prompted with a radio button of all the ESX servers. Add the ESX and select the appropriate NIC with the ethernet port-profile.

For further information kindly look into the nexus1000v documents for configuring the VSM and VEM.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

On the screen shot " cfg nic initial esx 01 - vem.png " you can see the physical nic that is connected to the network.

No other one is declared but on all cisco document it is indicated that we may use 3 vmnic or 4.

When I tried to add a host I cannot see the port-profile to change. See "unable to add host 00.png" and "unable to add host 01.png"

Thank you

Hi,

To attach a host to the Nexus1000v you either can migrate the vmnic0 to the DVS or add a new vmnic to the DVS.

To do that :

1. You need to make sure the cisco vib package is installed properly on the ESX server.

2. You need to go to the networking -> select the switch on the left pane -> on the right side pane  select Host,  on the blank space on the right pane do a right click and click on add host to DVS

3. Now clicking on this you can select the host and vmnic with the proper port profile.

If the port-profile allows the control and packet vlan , then you should be able to the see the module as active in the nexus1000v.

Hope this helps

Hi,

When I tried to add host I have an error.

I still cannot add the host and see the VEM module on the VSM using "sh module vem mapping".

On Service Center I cannot change the 3 nic parameter too for the VSM.

thank you

Hi,

You need to create port groups in the ESX Host where you have hosted the VSM for Control and Packet Traffic.

These Port Groups should use Control VLAN and Packet VLAN that you have configured in Nexus 1000v.

You need to attach the Control Traffic Port Group to the Network Adapter 1 and Packet Traffic Port Group to

Netwrok Adapter 3 in your VSM. If all other things are configured as expected, you should be able to see

the VEM module getting attached to VSM.

Following are some of the guides which might help you in installation:

Cisco  Nexus 1000V Getting Started Guide, Release 4.0(4)SV1(2)

Cisco  Nexus 1000V Software Installation Guide, Release 4.0(4)SV1(2)

Cisco  Nexus 1000V Virtual Ethernet Module Software Installation Guide,  Release 4.0(4)SV1(2)

There are some vidoes showing details on how to install nexus 1000v in following link:

Installation Vidoes

Hope this helps

-Nethaji V

hi alain,

Can you using SSH login to your 192.168.14.4 esx server, and using command "vem status",  there is "vem agent running" info?

If you can not get "vem agent running" info, it seems your VEM installed in 192.168.14.4 did not run, you should restart your esx server, 192.168.14.4.

And I think VSM/VEM need 3 pnic. In my case, I meet your ESX server error info, and I restart my ESX server, and then I can add host.

But I login in N1000V using SSH, and type "sh module", I just can see the VSM module info, I can not see any info about VEM,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: