cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can't pass SLP across vlans

bartlomiej79p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have 3560 switches for some reason I cannot login to NDS while crossing vlans because I cannot browse the tree. I think it has to do something with SLP multicast address not being able to cross the vlans. I am able to browse and log in while I am on the same vlan as the Netware servers. I have no acl configured that would deny this traffic.  I am using flash:c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4/c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.bin"

Any help would be appriciated, thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello bartlomiej,

You have to ebable IGMP on your 2 vlans in order for the SLP to work correctly.

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/ana19990302.html#b12fmgo

HTH

Reza

OK, I guess I can do that but I had the switches working properly before without the mlticast turned on. I only added etherchannel between 2 switches that was all I did before this problem occured. What would be the command to enable to multicast?

if you rnable ip igmp snooping in global config, it will enable it for all existing vlans or ip igmp snooping vlan 10 enables it only for vlan 10

HTH

reza

OK thanks again, do you think this will decrease performance of the network by turining this on? We have a lot of Apple's and they seem to use multicast a lot.

No, this will only enable your switches for multicast traffic.

Pronoy Dasgupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bart,

Couple of things, upgrade the IOS on the switch, and enable "ip pim dense-mode" on the vlan the servers and clients are in (if not already done). Also disable "ip directed-broadcast".

Was this working before by any chance?

Thanks

Pronoy

The SLP worked before on the old IOS, then I had changed to do some changes on the trunk links between the switches. Once I updated the switches to the new IOS and put in the commands you have mentioned it worked. I just don't understand why it was working with the old IOS before the trunking link changes. Thanks for your help!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: