cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DSCP and WLC 802.1p

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

I have auto-qos in my catalyst and I want to enable QoS in my WLCs.

I noticed that auto-qos use DSCP and WLC QoS use IP precedence in some WLANs (platinum profile for my 7921 and nokia phones).

Can you tell if it's ok to have DSCP (with auto-qos) on switch and IP precedence level tag 6 in WLCs?

What do I need if the above configuration is not good?

Thanks all

Johnny

5 Replies 5

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

Isn't there anybody can help me?

Please, does anybody find a discrepancy between auto QoS on catalyst which uses DSCP and Premium QoS which uses IP precendece instead?

It could be helpful for anybody

Thanks

Best

Johnny

Your standard QoS mappings would map a DSCP of EF to a COS of 5, but under 802.11e a DSCP of EF is mapped to a COS of 6.  Really the best way to configure your switches is to trust DSCP on everything except the ports going to the WLC itself.  You can trust DSCP on all ports but the recommendation is to trust COS on the WLC port.  This is assuming you are tagging all of the interfaces on the controller that you want to run QoS on.

Dan, at the AP is it CoS?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

No, you want to trust DSCP at the AP.  Assuming the AP's are in local mode the AP is sending all traffic out a single VLAN tunneled back to the controller.  Because of this there isn't a dot1q tag and therefore no CoS bits are avaiable.  So if you trust COS on an AP port you will never get a match.

Dan, thank you ... I was wondering if I could get your email for some additional side conversation?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card