I have 2 Arrowpoint CS-800 (cisco CSS 11800) They are both booting up fine but I can't telnet to them even with console port

Unanswered Question
Mar 16th, 2010

I have these units looks like they are booting up fine but I can't communicate with them. I got setup pdf files and using the com port settings but I can't reach them. some times I don't get any response at all some times I get some ASCII characters. I used port settings :

Baud Rate - 9600

Data Bits - 8

Flow Control - none

Parity - none

Stop Bits -1

still no communications, I'm using regular blue console cable cisco uses. can anyone help?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Tue, 03/16/2010 - 11:58

Hi Ike,

You setting looks correct.  Try changing the baud rate to 38400 and see if it helps.  if that does not help try a different application i.e terra term or Secure CRT, etc... to access the devices and see what happens.

HTH

Reza

Tharak Abraham Wed, 03/17/2010 - 01:01

com1 or com2 ?

please check the device manager on your lappy or pc for this ?

If this is ok and the settings is as per you said...the culprit should be the cable !

ikek Wed, 03/17/2010 - 09:58

yes It was the cable problem, because pinout setting for CSS 11800 different than what CISCO claims: I made a new RJ45 cable with:

-----Comm-server-side -----------------------------------CSS 11800 side ------------
---Color----------Purpose --- PIN #--- PINOUT -----PIN #----Purpose----------Color--
white-orange-----CTS-----------1--      1-1        --1------------------white-orange
------orange-----DSR-----------2--      2-6        --2---------RxD-------------green
-white-green-----RxD-----------3--      3-3        --3---------TxD-------white-green
--------blue-----GND-----------4--      4-7        --4-------------------white-brown
--white-blue-----GND-----------5--      5-5        --5--------------------white-blue
-------green-----TxD-----------6--      6-2        --6------------------------orange
-white-brown-----DTR-----------7--      7-4        --7---------GND--------------blue
-------brown-----RTS-----------8--      8-8        --8-------------------------brown

it works.

Actions

This Discussion