cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.1 - Need to bulk update PIN/PW with unique PIN/PW for each user

Brian Carlson
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,
I am looking for a way to bulk update users with a unique PIN and Password.

I'd like to use the user's DN as their default PIN and Password, see the example below;

UsernameDirectory Number
PinPassword
jdoe1
jmadden
bhope 
jchambers800180018001

For security reasons, my customer would like each voicemail user to have their initial password and pin set to their directory number.

I've looked in CUCXN's Bulk Edit Utility and Bulk Administration Tool and I can only find an option to apply a
single pin to all users, not a unique one for each.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just as a follow up.

1. No, BAT doesn't support updating PIN (phone) and Password (GUI web access) - I think there's a feature request against the platform team to support this but I'm not sure if/when it's going to be picked up.

2. There is no AXL interface for doing this on a stand alone Connection server - you can use ODBC directly via stored procs and in 8.x you can use the REST based API for this as well.

3. I have a Bulk PW Reset tool on deck for Connection (there's already one out there for Unity) - it's a couple tools down on the to-do list but I may be able to jump the queue.  I would be a simple CSV based tool similiar to what you describe - it wouldn't check up front for authentication policy violations so basically if you try and change passwords to something too short/simple for what your policy settings allow you'll get a cascade of failures - not ideal but it keeps things simple.

you can ping me back if you're interested in taking a look at something like this early - I may have something this weekend if you need it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sorry man, you are correct.  The bulk tools don't have that granularity.  The password/pin properties are set by the User Template and enforced by the Authentication Rule applied for each user.

You'd have to look at a way to do this via the AXL interface using a custom script.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Just as a follow up.

1. No, BAT doesn't support updating PIN (phone) and Password (GUI web access) - I think there's a feature request against the platform team to support this but I'm not sure if/when it's going to be picked up.

2. There is no AXL interface for doing this on a stand alone Connection server - you can use ODBC directly via stored procs and in 8.x you can use the REST based API for this as well.

3. I have a Bulk PW Reset tool on deck for Connection (there's already one out there for Unity) - it's a couple tools down on the to-do list but I may be able to jump the queue.  I would be a simple CSV based tool similiar to what you describe - it wouldn't check up front for authentication policy violations so basically if you try and change passwords to something too short/simple for what your policy settings allow you'll get a cascade of failures - not ideal but it keeps things simple.

you can ping me back if you're interested in taking a look at something like this early - I may have something this weekend if you need it.

lindborg-

I would definately be interested in your Bulk PW Reset tool.  My customer has over 4000 IP Phones to deploy throughout the project, and to meet their requirements would mean manually changing the pin and pw for each user.  Your tool would save a lot of manual configuration time.

Thanks!!

to be clear I'm talking about PIN and PAssword for Connection users with mailboxes - this would not reach over to Call Manager's database for anything...

Hi Jeff

Drifting a little off topic... but you are the man with all the answers...

I was wondering if there was any plan to unify the credentials between CUC/CCM? I.e. use and manage a single PIN and single password? It does cause confusion..

Thanks

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

lindborg-

Understood, I realize your tool would be only for CUCXN.  That is not a problem because CUCM already allows us to define the pin and password on an individual basis through the BAT tool.

aaronharrison-

You could use LDAP authentication to acheive that.

Brian - ping me off line: lindborg at cisco dot com.  I'll keep you up to date on it.

Just to follow up on this for anyone stumbling across this thread later - I put a tool out to handle this capability:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/BulkPasswordEdit/BulkPasswordEdit.html

ideally this would show up in Connection's BAT application - I've sent the request along - it may appear in the 8.5 project.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: