Catalyst 3750 - No default Gateway?

Unanswered Question
Mar 16th, 2010
User Badges:

I'm wondering about the pros & cons of not using a default-gateway on a Catalyst switch (3750E) being used as an IDF.  Switch has an IP, but just for remote management.  All L3 interfaces are on the core switch pair (using vrrp .1)

My peer engineer says we should, but I don't really see the benefit.  The switch is reachable without issue.  Should I add it or not?

thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/16/2010 - 14:54
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I've been deploying switches without default-gateway and they are all reachable.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/16/2010 - 14:55
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Whoopsie!  Double posting. 

Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 03/16/2010 - 15:22
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello,

to minimize ARP activity:

without an ip default-gateway the device relies on proxy-ARP enabled on L3 devices to find a way to send traffic to any destination.

It is sure that it should just answer to management workstations and to telnet/SSH sessions but if someone disables proxy-arp for security you will be not able to reach them.

I remember a similar case in a network when after some hardening there was a connectivity issue.

So I would deploy the ip default-gateway it costs just a config line.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion