Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to do inter Vlan on cisco router 1841 with Trendnet switch

rechard_hk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I  would like to as you that i do inter Vlan on Cisco Router 1841 and link trunk to Trendnet Switch (TEG-160WS).That this switch support Vlan.

!
interface FastEthernet0/1

description Link to Trendnet switch
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1.10
encapsulation dot1Q 10
ip address 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0/1.20
encapsulation dot1Q 52
ip address 192.168.20.254 255.255.255.0
!

My configuration is it correct with the other product.?

Note: if i change Trendnet switch to Cisco Switch it is working on the inter Vlan.

Best Regards,

rechard

7 Replies 7

Yes, This configuration will work.But make sure that the other side switch interface should act as trunk port.

You can allow only vlan 10 and vlan 52 over that trunk link

Regards

Karuppu

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Rechard,

Is the dot1Q trunk up between the router and the switch,

Try to ping the gateway ip , i.e .254 from any of the host to confirm the reachability ?

Check the arp cache on the host ?

"sh interfaces trunk" on the cisco device also to confirm the trunking otherwise !

Dear Tharak,

i tried o ping to .254 it request timed out. when show int trunk, it doesn't see anything,

for the Trendnet switch it support as below:

• Provides SNMP ( v1), IEEE 802.1X and STP support
  • 32Gbps switching capacity
  • 16 x Gigabit Auto-MDIX ports
  • 2 x shared mini-GBIC slots
  • Supports IEEE 802.1Q VLAN, Asymmetric VLAN, QoS, IGMP, Trunking and Mirroring
  • Do you have experience on this switch before?

Best Regards,

Rechard

Rechard,

dot1Q is a standard based trunking mechanism and it should work.

I dont have experience on that particular switch, but inter-vendor problems do happen

1.confirm the straight cable (in wierd scenarios it works the other way round too)

2.speed and duplex, hard code it !

3.are the hosts assigned in untagged vlan ports on respective vlans?

4.do a ping from the host and enable "deb ip packet detail" on the cisco

(you can assign an access list to permit icmp only and attach to the debug on the safer side too)

5.Check for that arp frame ? where does it go..?

6.sh counters on the interfaces, trunk port and access ports of both the devices..anything good ?

Follow that frame...you'll exactly know where its getting dropped !

Have you looked at the user guide for your Trendnet switch ? You can set up a port to send tagged or untagged frames so this is how you would setup what Cisco refer to as trunking.

Note that most vendors use trunking to mean aggregating multiple physical ports into one logical link which Cisco calls etherchannel. So when you are looking at the Trendnet user guide ignore the bits about trunking and focus on the port tagging configuration.

I have attached the Trendnet user guide for your switch.

Jon

Dear Jon,
    we had the same issue with Trendnet (TI-PG102i) and Cisco switch to have port trunking and Vlans.
    Kindly clarify how to ((So when you are looking at the Trendnet user guide ignore the bits about trunking and focus on the port tagging configuration)) to connect with Cisco Switch 

paolo bevilacqua
    Hall of Fame
    Hall of Fame

Likely the "switch" does VLAN, but not trunking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card