cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 performance of the ES3 Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Module?

andy
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if i can use one of these to perform simple inter VLAN routing at, or near wirespeed or will it be limited by the host router's performance?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-553980_ps10537_Products_Data_Sheet.html

I am hoping that because they have an independant CPU and IOS that the traffic will be switched locally allowing me to use the switch ports and still manage the device and provide some backup WAN services from the 2900 router.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

andy@benthamroad.co.uk

Does anyone know if i can use one of these to perform simple inter VLAN routing at, or near wirespeed or will it be limited by the host router's performance?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-553980_ps10537_Products_Data_Sheet.html

I am hoping that because they have an independant CPU and IOS that the traffic will be switched locally allowing me to use the switch ports and still manage the device and provide some backup WAN services from the 2900 router.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

From the link you provided -

Architecture Features and Benefits

The Cisco Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Module helps ensure maximum availability, high performance, ease of upgrade, and expandability. The modules have their own processors, switching engines, and flash memory that run independently of host router resources, helping ensure maximum concurrent switching and routing performance as well as providing integrated PoE, security, and increased ease of management. Additionally, Cisco Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Modules run their own Cisco IOS® Software, independent of the router Cisco IOS Software image, allowing for easy upgrades and ongoing software and feature commonality with Cisco Catalyst 2960 and Catalyst 3560-E Series Switches. Table 2 lists some of the features and benefits of this architecture.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I'm just unlear of the actual throughput that can be achieved, i guess i'll just have to try and get hold of a device and test it in a lab

Andy

The ES2 and ES3 modules are based on the 2960 and 3560-E series switches respectively.  From the doc -

The Cisco Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Modules (Figure 1) greatly expands the router's capabilities by integrating industry-leading Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching with feature sets identical to those found in the Cisco Catalyst® 3560-E and Catalyst 2960 Series Switches. The new Cisco Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Modules are the first modules to take advantage of the increased capabilities on the Cisco 3900 and 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers.

So if you want throughput figures and switching performance have a look at the data sheets for these switches.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: