cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7975 phones sample config for UC520

lightxx1980
Level 1
Level 1

so ... i bought two 7975s to replace two SPA525Gs on an UC520 (SCCP).

so far i had no luck getting them to work. they hang at "obtaining IP address" (but that's just what the display says, in fact they successfully lease an IP) and their logs show dozens of TFTP errors and try to contact CME instances with weird hostnames that don't exist. also, it seems that unlike the SPA525Gs, the 7975s can't be FW updated via their web UIs, is that correct?

any ideas where i could start looking?

thanks,

Tom

9 Replies 9

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

lightxx1980 wrote:

so ... i bought two 7975s to replace two SPA525Gs on an UC520 (SCCP).

so far i had no luck getting them to work. they hang at "obtaining IP address" (but that's just what the display says, in fact they successfully lease an IP) and their logs show dozens of TFTP errors and try to contact CME instances with weird hostnames that don't exist. also, it seems that unlike the SPA525Gs, the 7975s can't be FW updated via their web UIs, is that correct?

any ideas where i could start looking?

thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Firstly you need to check the following:

Phone Loads located on the Flash Card, you can downloald the latest ones from the Cisco Website using your CCO credentials, you need to place them in the "phones" directory on your flash card, or alternativly you can use CCA to do this for you.

TFTP-SERVER Commands, you need to make sure that there are tftp-server commands in there that directs the system to where the files are located, they should look something along the lines of this;

tftp-server flash:phones/7975/apps75.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn alias apps75.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn
tftp-server flash:phones/7975/cnu75.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn alias cnu75.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn
tftp-server flash:phones/7975/cvm75sccp.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn alias cvm75sccp.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn
tftp-server flash:phones/7975/dsp75.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn alias dsp75.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn
tftp-server flash:phones/7975/jar75sccp.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn alias jar75sccp.8-5-3TH1-6.sbn
tftp-server flash:phones/7975/SCCP75.8-5-3S.loads alias SCCP75.8-5-3S.loads
tftp-server flash:phones/7975/term75.default.loads alias term75.default.loads

Then you need to make sure that you have the loads in the telephony-service, this should look something like this;

load 7975 SCCP75.8-5-3S

So to recap, if you have the following correctly in place, the phones should work without incident:

1. Correct files located on the flash card, normaly located in the "phones" directory, in their own folder normaly called "7975"
  2. Correct TFTP-SERVER settings on the IOS config, they should resemble the ones above if not be the same
  3. Correct Loads placed in the telephony-service, if this is not there then the system wont know to look for them, which by the points back to the tftp-server, so they are all linked together
  4. Correct MAC address placed on the ephone. if this is not done the phone may not be allowed to register to the system
  5. type specified on the ephone config, whilst not essential you should always do it as a matter of habit

Last thing to do, is to reset the phone back to factory defaults so when it talks to the UC500 it rediscovers all the settings it needs, you can achieve this by doing the following;

NOTE: Make sure the phone is plugged directly into the UC500 when performing this.

1. Pull the ethernet plug out
  2. Hold down the # key
  3. Plug the ethernet cable back in to power it up
  4. Hold the # key untill all the line keys have sequentialy lit up (They will flash Red/Orange)
  5. Once the boot sequence has finished (step 4) then proceed to press the following sequence 123456789*0#
  6. Wait for the phone to reboot

You can watch what is taking place on the command line during the boot up process by typing the following command:

Router#debug tftp event

Router#term mon

To stop the above:

Router#un all

Router#term no mon

Hope this helps you out and you get the phone up and running, the 7975's are a brilliant phone, pricey but damn good to use. Although i am a big fan of the SPA525's i love what they can do and not quite sure why you are replacing them with the 7975.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

thank you very much for your competent response. unfortunately it seems i forgot to mark this thread as question so i can't assign you any points now. do you want me to recreate this thread as question?

as for why we are phasing our SPA525Gs, the problem is out of 15 phones or so 7 already died because of the PoE issue mentioned in one of my other threads:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/thread/7126?tstart=0

seems like us European customers get the crappy flawed first gen SPA525Gs. replacing broken phones on a regular base is a nuisance, thats why we are replacing them with 7975s ;)

thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

do you want me to recreate this thread as question?

Sorry what poins are you talking about? I was not aware the ran a point system on here

no need to recreate the thread, i am more interested in seeing you helped then to worry about points :D

as for why we are phasing our SPA525Gs, the problem is out of 15 phones
or so 7 already died because of the PoE issue mentioned in one of my
other threads:

Ok gotcha wasnt aware that there was a problem with them, must have ben a bad batch of them i guess.

Keep us informed on how you went with the setup of the 7975's would like to know if you got them to work without any issues.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

thanks for checking back in. unfortunately, i failed miserably. i bricked one of the 7975s during a firmware update, and don't yet know how to recover without RMAing the phone (someone reloaded a catalyst which PoE'd  that particular phone).

the other one works but i'm not sure _why_ it actually works. seems i'm lacking fundamental knowledge on how things are done in CME. i thought i would just learn by doing, but obviously i was wrong.

like yesterday, when i thought i finally had put all bits and pieces together and recreated my CNF files, my SPA 525Gs would suddenly reboot and got stuck in an infinte loop trying to download their .xml files ... sigh ... not like i had done ANY changes to the default 525.xml.cnf or the SEP.cnf.xml...

i also tried this guide from our gods themselfs (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_example09186a008042326b.shtml) but failed again. seems it won't even work when i take the official Cisco sample config 1:1 and just replace the MAC addresses ..

thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

If you think the phone is Bricked you can try to Factory reset it again, however as before try and plug the unit directly into the PoE device and if possible directly into the UC-500, however the way you explain it is that the phone is being plugged into an expansion switch.

In general, and i do mean in general, you shouldnt have to do anything on the CME other then make sure the files are on the flash card, and that the system knows where to look for the files, and that Telephony services knows you want it to look for those files when the phones are plugged in. There is not much else that you should worry yourself with, if it is not working then there is another reason as to why this is happening.

In any event, i am happy to look at this issue for you if you can provide remote access via SSH, and given the possible time zone differences we would need to schedule a time that is suitable for both of us.

Happy to try and help you sort this problem out, even if i have to remote desktop to your system we can do it that way as well :)

Cheers,

David.

i appreciate any help i can get! do you have ICQ or MSN / facebook or another IM? i can create you an ACL allowing SSH into the box any time as long as its not business hours (i'm CET+1 here).

would be really cool if you could take a peek at my config. i can email you the running-config as well if you like?

thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom.

I have two MSN one is for work, they are listed below:

wicomoz-at-hotmail.com  (Personal One)

kingfireblade-at-hotmail.com (Work one)

If you add both of them you are bound to get me on one of them :D

Once you get me on it i will log into your setup and we can talk through it over MSN

Cheers,

David.

Regarding the SPA525 POE Problems stated in this thread.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-15522

There is an SPA525G Product Bulletin that was issued at the end of March 2009.

This PB brought attention to a small number of SPA525G units that had a defective transformer in the PoE circuitry.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a few of the units from this batch.  If you PM me your contact information, I would be happy to have the Product Manager call you and explain.

Steve DiStefano

Systems Engineer

US Partner Sales

Steve,

thanks for your post.

however, its all fine now. we got all our defective 525Gs replaced now.

I'm not less of a Cisco fan because of that issue. errors happen ;)

thanks,

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: