cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 advice

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased a Sup6 for a classic chassis last year to operate as our core along with another 4506 running a sup5. After we deployed it, several months later we realized it wasn't Netflow capable so we ended up stuck with it. We're looking at buying two Sup5 10GE soon for the core since they can support 10g and also support Netflow. I was wondering if anyone had some input on running those two Sup5s as a core and 10g. I've read that the 10g isn't good on the 4506 classic or even E series for that matter. Ideally i'd like to have the link between the two cores 10g and eventually purchase a 10g 6 port line card  Any advice would be great!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cowetacoit wrote:

Jon, i know the classic chassis can only support 6Gbps per line slot, but can the Sup5 10GE support its on board X2 ports at a true 10G connection?

Leo, we currently have a Sup6 and are considering replacing it due to lack of features.

Thanks guys!

Ahh, i misread your last question. The 10Gbps ports on the supervisor 5 10GE are indeed wire speed ports so yes between the supervisors you can run a true 10Gbps connection.

I was thinking of running between line cards for some reason where the restriction is the 6Gbps per slot capacity.

Once again apologies for any confusion, i made a real mess of this thread

Jon

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cowetacoit wrote:

We purchased a Sup6 for a classic chassis last year to operate as our core along with another 4506 running a sup5. After we deployed it, several months later we realized it wasn't Netflow capable so we ended up stuck with it. We're looking at buying two Sup5 10GE soon for the core since they can support 10g and also support Netflow. I was wondering if anyone had some input on running those two Sup5s as a core and 10g. I've read that the 10g isn't good on the 4506 classic or even E series for that matter. Ideally i'd like to have the link between the two cores 10g and eventually purchase a 10g 6 port line card  Any advice would be great!

As a core for a small to medium network the 4500 switch is okay but it does depend on throughput required. The classic line cards support 6Gbps per slot. The E-series line cards support 24Gbps per slot.

So a 6 port 10Gbps line card can in theory do 60Gbps but it only has 24Gbps connection to the switch fabric. If you wanted to be sure you had no oversubscription then you could only use 2 of the 6 ports. If you were happy to assume each port would only use 5Gbps you could use 4 of the ports.

Compare this with the 6500 where the 8 port gigabit module has a 40Gbps connection to the switch fabric. So you could use 4 ports with no oversubscription and all 8 if each port used 5Gbps.

That is why if you want to build a 10Gbps network you should be looking at 6500 switches in the core. Like i say it does depend on how much you push through each port but if you convince management to buy into the 10Gbps network and use 4500 they probably won't understand if in future you end up being oversubscribed and have to upgrade again.

Funnily enough managers tend to glaze over when you try and explain the intricate details of switches to them

Jon

Makes perfect sense Jon. Last year redundancy was the goal with HSRP in the core and since we bought the Sup 6 the 10g ports have been making me drool. Of course if we had the funds a 6500 with dual sups would be ideal. So since both of my 4500 chassis are classic i think i'll move forward with the Sup5s just for netflow and redundancy reasons. Will i be able to run a true 10g connection between the two Sup5s at least?

Will i be able to run a true 10g connection between the two Sup5s at least?

No you won't. I apologise but i forgot that the Sup V-10Ge only supports 6Gbps per slot and not 24Gbps which only the 6-E supports. So what i wrote in previous thread still applies it's just a whole lot worse in terms of oversubscription because i assumed 24Gbps per slot and it is only 6Gbps. So with just 6Gbps per slot even one 10Gbps port on the supervisor would not be running at wire speed.

See table 2 in this doc for supported speed per slot -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet09186a00801fcaba_ps2797_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Jon

In addition to Jon's awesome-dude post, I would like to add that the newest Supervisor card for the 4000/4500, the Sup6, supports true 10Gb.  However, there is a read-the-fine-details that the switch fabric will support only 24Gb for the "E" class.  But for the classic, it'd down to 6Gb.  Whether or not you can run "true" 10Gb on a X Supervisor card boils down to the chassis you have.  In an analogy that someone of less technical skills can understand, it's like driving the fanciest Maseratti (hey, I like how the name sounds, ok?  So sue me!) along NY's 5th Street.  You'll turn alot of heads but you sure won't see the true power of the car in a stop-n-go situation.

jon.marshall wrote:

Funnily enough managers tend to glaze over when you try and explain the intricate details of switches to them

Jon

Ya don't say.    He he he ...

Jon, i know the classic chassis can only support 6Gbps per line slot, but can the Sup5 10GE support its on board X2 ports at a true 10G connection?

Leo, we currently have a Sup6 and are considering replacing it due to lack of features.

Thanks guys!

cowetacoit wrote:

Thanks guys!

Ahh, i misread your last question. The 10Gbps ports on the supervisor 5 10GE are indeed wire speed ports so yes between the supervisors you can run a true 10Gbps connection.

I was thinking of running between line cards for some reason where the restriction is the 6Gbps per slot capacity.

Once again apologies for any confusion, i made a real mess of this thread

Jon

hey no problem....now is the question should i wait untill the Sup7 comes out? lol

thanks jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: