X2-10GB-ZR compatibility question

Unanswered Question

Hi All,

On the web site it says

Cisco X2-10GB-ZR: Supports link lengths of up to about 80 km on SMF. This interface is not part of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet standard but is built according to Cisco optical specifications.

I have a need to connect my 4507 chassis with the X2-10GB-ZR module to a Nortel switch at another site. Can anyone tell me if the Cisco ZR module is standards compliant, Nortel claim theirs to be, but don't want to waste a lot of money on a module that won't communicate ?

Many thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Tom Randstrom Thu, 03/18/2010 - 07:39

Seeing that most of these modules are manufactured by a couple of major optics module vendors, I would assume they will interoperate.  I looked at Nortel's ZR XFP specs and they look very similiar in optical parameters.  From what I can gather, the IEEE has not ratified a ZR spec: 80km, 1550nm, SMF, so vendors developed one based on the SONET optics.

To put your mind at ease, you may want to contact Cisco (or a partner) to see if they can provide you a loaner, or try before you buy option.  This way you can test the solution for interoperability.  I know in the past they had these types of programs to offer their customers.

Hope this helps!

Actions

This Discussion