cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure two independent SHDLS connections through one HWIC-2SHDSL?

Hello!

I've been collecting information on principles of SHDSL connection. I have found plenty of examples on how to configure only one SHDSL link. Very soon I'm going to the site to install two independent SHDSL links in Cisco 2811 which has one Cisco HWIC-2SHDSL module, so I can route one type of traffic through one connection and another type of traffic through another. Both SHDLS links have static IP addresses and probably different VPI/VCI values.

Can anyone help me with a sample configuration or give me a hint on how to install two SHDSL links into one HWIC-2SHDSL module, set one value for VPI/VCI on one link and another value for VPI/VCI on another link, also set one IP address on one link and another IP adddress on another link?

13 Replies 13

Hi,

just to be sure, are you talking about single HWIC-2SHDS in 2811? is yes, then it's  only one port SDSL module which is using 2 pair of wire.

if you need 2 independed SDSL connection then it's more simple and may be cheaper to use two external SDSL modem and configure PPPoE.

But you need additional Ethernet port for your 2811, or may be 4-port switching module.

Two external SDSL modems are already in use and they are going to be removed. Instead of them HWIC-2SHDSL module was planned to be used with the purpose to eleminate additional points of failure and the ability to debug.

By saying "if yes, then it's  only one port SDSL module which is using 2 pair of wire", do you mean that the single HWIC-2SHDSL module can't be used for two independent 1 pair of wire connections and can only be used for only one connection on 2 pairs of wire, the only benefit of which is increased speed?

What makes you think it can be used in the way you imagined ?

The description of the product in Cisco Price List :

HWIC-2SHDSL - 2-port G.shdsl HWIC

What else should I think if I see the phrase 2-port. Logically, I assume that I can use one port for one Internet connection and another port for another connection or load balance between them or do with the ports whatever I imagine to do, like I can, for example, with this module "HWIC-2FE= - Two 10/100 routed port HWIC" which also says 2-port. The only difference for me is that one supports DSL and another Ethernet.

Am I misled?

Read the datasheet before the price list

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps7175/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fa0.html

2 means two pairs, not two ports. The price list is in error.

And I am reading: "the 2-pair G.SHDSL HWIC provides two ports of 2-wire or one port of 4-wire connectivity options".

True, I tought it couldn't be done, instead it is.

Use dsl-group and you will be able to configure atm 0/x/0 and 0/x/1 indipendently.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/feature/guide/shdslfm.html#wpxref15869

Thanks, I had suspicions that by creating a DSL group a corresponding ATM interface will appear and if I create two DSL groups this action will provide me with two ATM interfaces to configure. I just wanted to make sure. Soon I'm going to implement this at client's site and see how it works.

By saying "if yes, then it's  only one port SDSL
module which is using 2 pair of wire", do you mean that the single
HWIC-2SHDSL module can't be used for two independent 1 pair of wire
connections and can only be used for only one
connection on 2 pairs of wire, the only benefit of which is increased speed?

hmm, I think it is not  possible to configure two logicaly independent (like 2 virtual interfaces) connections. It will be provided only increased speed and some kind of failover between 2 pair of wire.

If you find out the way how to configure it, I'd be glad to hear it

bchostner
Level 5
Level 5

I am working on an HWIC-2SHDSL POC in Germany now and I have worked this out through trial and

error, you may use pair 0, pair 0-1 or pair 1. This is the configuration. You see it creates a second ATM interface to be resourced with any logical config you like, virtual or dialer.

controller SHDSL 0/0/0
dsl-group 0 pairs  0

dsl-group 1 pairs 1

sh run | be ATM0

interface ATM0/0/0
no ip address
no atm ilmi-keepalive
!
!
interface ATM0/0/1
no ip address
no atm ilmi-keepalive
!

sh controller shdsl 0/0/0

--------------------------------------

should show group 0 and group 1 status up.

I dont have this working yet, but I will. best of luck.

Brian

Privet Sergei,

Did you have completed your configuration? Do it work?

I'm planning to do the same configuration with my HWIC-2SHDSL. And it would be great to hear from, that it works.

Regards,

Aleksei

Aleksei,

I never deployed two SDSL to the same router, we only did a single SDSL in our testing. I think the configuration is based on annex G and would greatly depend on your providers equipment, so they may be able to provide some configuration assistance.

This was my configuration for a single 512k SDSL with DT.

!

controller SHDSL 0/0/0

dsl-group 0 pairs  0

shdsl rate 576

!

!

interface ATM0/0/0

bandwidth 576

no ip address

load-interval 30

no atm ilmi-keepalive

max-reserved-bandwidth 100

!

interface ATM0/0/0.1 point-to-point

ip unnumbered Loopback10

pvc 1/51

vbr-nrt 576 576

tx-ring-limit 5

encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1

!

!

interface Virtual-Template1

bandwidth 576

ip unnumbered Loopback0

load-interval 30

no peer default ip address

ppp multilink

ppp multilink links maximum 1

ppp multilink endpoint hostname

max-reserved-bandwidth 100

service-policy output WAN-EDGE

Sorry I could not be more help.

Brian

I see you have used here only one pair of your's two pair interface.

I think it is possible to do the same config with two dsl-groups...

Aleksei

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco