Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding RME Config Version Tree

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When I access the Version Tree through RME and select a device, the Config Version Tree view shows 'RUNNING' and 'STARTUP' under PRIMARY.

I always see 6 or 7 versions (not contiguous) within running and only one for startup. Why is it so and why are running config snapshots days and weeks apart.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

RME automatically saves the configuration (running and startup) of a device. While it keeps a version history for the running-config, it does not for the startup-config. That is why you see only 1 version under STARTUP.
You can control the number of versions that RME keeps with following menu:
RME > Admin > Config Management > Arcive Mgmt > Purge Settings

As RME does have some intelligence it only saves the config when there are really changes; i.e. RME controlls the config on a regular basis:
- polling a specific MIB object to see if the config has changed
- collecting the config (really get the complete config) and compare it with the stored version
RME > Admin > Config Management > Arcive Mgmt > Collection Settings

This is why you see different time intervalls for the stored configurations.

And also, RME checks for changes triggered by specific syslog messages which tells RME that there was a potential config change; with this mechanism it tries to get every change near real-time. Surely, this can only work if the IP of the server on which RME is installed is configured as a logging server on the device.

For the config menu mentioned here you can use the context sensitive online help of LMS (top right of each page)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

RME automatically saves the configuration (running and startup) of a device. While it keeps a version history for the running-config, it does not for the startup-config. That is why you see only 1 version under STARTUP.
You can control the number of versions that RME keeps with following menu:
RME > Admin > Config Management > Arcive Mgmt > Purge Settings

As RME does have some intelligence it only saves the config when there are really changes; i.e. RME controlls the config on a regular basis:
- polling a specific MIB object to see if the config has changed
- collecting the config (really get the complete config) and compare it with the stored version
RME > Admin > Config Management > Arcive Mgmt > Collection Settings

This is why you see different time intervalls for the stored configurations.

And also, RME checks for changes triggered by specific syslog messages which tells RME that there was a potential config change; with this mechanism it tries to get every change near real-time. Surely, this can only work if the IP of the server on which RME is installed is configured as a logging server on the device.

For the config menu mentioned here you can use the context sensitive online help of LMS (top right of each page)