cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS AP; need to have 2 management IPs ind different VLANS. Possible?

peter.ferl
Level 1
Level 1

We have the need to add a "secondary" Management IP due to a IP rearrangement.
Ist this possible?
If yes, how?
Thanks,

Peter

5 Replies 5

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure why you would need a second IP on an autonomous AP.  The IP on the AP is just used for managmenet of the AP and other mgmt type tasks like sending EAPOL packets to the radius server, responding to SNMP, etc.  As far as the subnet info for the wireless clients, the AP really doesn't care.  Its  just bridging the packets through the AP.

During a certain amount of time we want to have 2 managment IPs to do

a smooth migration from the old managment IP range to the new one.

autonomous AP's don't support secondary IP addresses.  You might be able to configure an IP under the fa0 interface but this is not recommended and my cause issues.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We've had to change the subnet and we never did this.  I agree with Dan that secondary address not only can cause changes but it's easier to just change the IP address of the BVI1 interface.

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Every time I've had to change IOS AP IPs, I've edited a copy of the config, changing the IP, gateway and mask.  Then tftp the config into startup-config and reload when it's time for the new IP to come up.  While it's reloading change the native vlan on the switch port if necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card