Multicasting with Layer2 Switch

Unanswered Question
Mar 18th, 2010

Hi mates : )

Please see attached figure, i draw the network for you guys to make it simpler to understand my question.

I have one switch (about to order if you guys approve it), one VLAN and all hosts are connected to that switch. 4 multicast servers send video stream to 4 receievers. all receievers are supposed to get video from any server at any time (dynamically change the multicast group).

I know (thanks to jon.marshall) i should be able to manage multicast traffic without any layer 3 device if the layer 2 switch has these functions:

- IGMP snooping

- IGMP snooping querier

So i choose WS-C2960G-8TC-L as layer 2 switch. But one of my friend told me that the switch itsel does not generate the IGMP query so i cant manage IGMP traffic with this configuraton.

I appreciate any help about if the design (network.jpg) is correct and i can manage multicast trafficc with 29602G-8TC-L

Thanks in advance for helping.

Attachment: 
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Thu, 03/18/2010 - 09:34

Hi Ohal,

From the 2960 command reference giude:

ip igmp snooping querier

Use the ip igmp snooping querier global configuration command to globally enable the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) querier function in Layer 2 networks. Use the command with keywords to enable and configure the IGMP querier feature on a VLAN interface. Use the no form of this command to return to the default settings.

ip igmp snooping querier [vlan vlan-id] [address ip-address | max-response-time response-time | query-interval interval-count | tcn query [count count | interval interval] | timer expiry | version version]

no ip igmp snooping querier [vlan vlan-id] [address | max-response-time | query-interval | tcn query { count count | interval interval} | timer expiry | version

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/command/reference/cli1.html#wp6248718

If this is all you need you are good to go with 2960.

HTH

Reza

Actions

This Discussion