cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7975 phone getting IP from wrong DHCP pool ... SPA 525Gs work ...

lightxx1980
Level 1
Level 1

ok ... this is a very weird problem. to me at least.

i have two DHCP groups on an UC520. one for the clients (VLAN 1), one for the phones (VLAN 100).

every SPA 525G gets an IP from the correct DHCP group, NO MATTER WHICH PORT. every 7975 gets an IP from the wrong DHCP group (the client group, the one missing the group 150 option for the TFTP server and stuff...), again, no matter which port. i'm pretty positive the ports are trunked to their respective VLANs (or else the 525Gs wouldn't work at all).

any ideas?

thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tom,

Firstly: I am not sure if you got any of my Offline MSN messages, they all seemed to keep bouncing back at me :(

Secondly: I decided against writing up a new config for you on the basis that there was just too much missing out of the config currently on that system, due to it having no BVI or any proper Vlan configuration, i thought i would be too dangerous to guess what these should be. Since i dont know the network and your half way across the other side of the universe ;) i thought about what would be the best process for you to get things working as they should be.

Steps to follow:

1. Reset the System to factory defaults
  2. Obtain UC500 8.0.1 software pack for the system
  3. Unplug all phones connected to the system
  4. Load up the latest version of CCA (2.2.2)
  5. Update the system to 8.0.1 and making sure to apply default config, also aply auto cleanup as well
    NOTE: Please make sure you keep that txt file of your last running config, use this as a way to capture important information you need

6. Once the system restarts after the upgrade, wait about 5 minutes to give the CUE time to restart and become initialized (This takes time)
  7. Run the Telephony Wizard, this is your best bet in getting a proper and thorough sysem setup, it is fairly simply to use and follow
  8. Do not do any fancy configuration, leave it as default where possible (Except for things like extensions lenght's, dial-out access number and some other important things, but in general try and keep it as default, also make sure you choose PBX for the provisioning, not key system.
    NOTE: All fancy configuration such as subnet's and Vlans can be done after the Wizard has finished using CCA, this is better as it allows the base system to be setup without any complications.

9. Still leave all the phones unplugged, once the configuration wizard has completed, go through and set your IP scheme up how you want it to, making sure that you change it in all relevant parts, such as in your IP routing section and Addresses section, check all sections related to Routing and make sure they all match up to each other.
  10. Once you have finished configuring the system the way you want it, plug all the phones in (Making sure the have assigned extensions (Ephones) even if they are just setup as dummies, this way you can ensure a proper registration.

This whole thing should take about 3-5 hours to do, for me to re-write your config for you and then have you upload it to the system would actually probably take me much longer as i would need to work it up on man lab system and debug the daylight out of it, and even then once it is on that box it still might not run right.

Simply put i am surprised that system is running the way it is, to me it is missing way to much crucial stuff, how the current phones are registering without giving you grief amazes me, but with all the stuff missing out of their such as your BVI interfaces and Vlan mapping, explains to me why the 7975 phones are not registering, the 525's work differently so i can kind of expect them to register in that environment.

I would have loved to be able to do this for you, to help you out, if only you were not so far away :)

Either way i hope you get it resolved and do you take my suggestion on board to scrap the current config and rebuild from scratch, your headaches now and also into the future will be much less if any at all ;)

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tom,

Firstly: I am not sure if you got any of my Offline MSN messages, they all seemed to keep bouncing back at me :(

Secondly: I decided against writing up a new config for you on the basis that there was just too much missing out of the config currently on that system, due to it having no BVI or any proper Vlan configuration, i thought i would be too dangerous to guess what these should be. Since i dont know the network and your half way across the other side of the universe ;) i thought about what would be the best process for you to get things working as they should be.

Steps to follow:

1. Reset the System to factory defaults
  2. Obtain UC500 8.0.1 software pack for the system
  3. Unplug all phones connected to the system
  4. Load up the latest version of CCA (2.2.2)
  5. Update the system to 8.0.1 and making sure to apply default config, also aply auto cleanup as well
    NOTE: Please make sure you keep that txt file of your last running config, use this as a way to capture important information you need

6. Once the system restarts after the upgrade, wait about 5 minutes to give the CUE time to restart and become initialized (This takes time)
  7. Run the Telephony Wizard, this is your best bet in getting a proper and thorough sysem setup, it is fairly simply to use and follow
  8. Do not do any fancy configuration, leave it as default where possible (Except for things like extensions lenght's, dial-out access number and some other important things, but in general try and keep it as default, also make sure you choose PBX for the provisioning, not key system.
    NOTE: All fancy configuration such as subnet's and Vlans can be done after the Wizard has finished using CCA, this is better as it allows the base system to be setup without any complications.

9. Still leave all the phones unplugged, once the configuration wizard has completed, go through and set your IP scheme up how you want it to, making sure that you change it in all relevant parts, such as in your IP routing section and Addresses section, check all sections related to Routing and make sure they all match up to each other.
  10. Once you have finished configuring the system the way you want it, plug all the phones in (Making sure the have assigned extensions (Ephones) even if they are just setup as dummies, this way you can ensure a proper registration.

This whole thing should take about 3-5 hours to do, for me to re-write your config for you and then have you upload it to the system would actually probably take me much longer as i would need to work it up on man lab system and debug the daylight out of it, and even then once it is on that box it still might not run right.

Simply put i am surprised that system is running the way it is, to me it is missing way to much crucial stuff, how the current phones are registering without giving you grief amazes me, but with all the stuff missing out of their such as your BVI interfaces and Vlan mapping, explains to me why the 7975 phones are not registering, the 525's work differently so i can kind of expect them to register in that environment.

I would have loved to be able to do this for you, to help you out, if only you were not so far away :)

Either way i hope you get it resolved and do you take my suggestion on board to scrap the current config and rebuild from scratch, your headaches now and also into the future will be much less if any at all ;)

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David, once again thanks for your ongoing support.

right now, as a temporary solution, i removed all but the voice VLANs from those ports where the 7975s are connected. this works so far. i'm not planning on connecting workstations to the phones anyway, as they are connected to a separate switch.

also, even though i could swear my tftp loads definition was correct i obviously fatfingered something, and your definition was the one that really worked. having the correct tftp loads also recovered the bricked 7975, thank you very much for that.

once i have the time to i will start over from scratch, but i definitely won't use the CCA or any other stupid GUI that messes up everything ;)

thanks,

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: