cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting BW to a server **anybody??**

JOHN APONTE
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to limit bw to a server? Here are the details. Server is connected to a 6500 that is running on a sup720 catos/ios hybrid code. The server is connected to a layer 2 gig switch port.  I have offsite users that connect to this server from their site via a 12 mbit mpls cloud.  When offsite users connect to that server to get software updates they run up the bw on the 12 mbit mpls cloud connection to 100% thus impacting all other offsite users.  Is there a way that I can limit the offsite users connection to that server say to only 2 mbits or so? I have looked at cisco docs on traffic shaping and qos policing and I am confused on which one to use. Thanks for your support.!

1 Reply 1

cjw
Level 1
Level 1

Hello--

You have a couple options to reduce the bandwidth for this server.

First, you can set the speed on the switch port to limit the port to a percentage of its connection speed (10, 100 or 1000 Mbps). Then you can use the srr-queue bandwidth configuration statement to limit the effective bandwidth to a percentage of the switch port speed. The bandwidth percentage must be between 10 and 90 percent.

For example, you can simply limit a port to 10 Mbps by hard coding that speed. Furthermore, you can limit it to 5 Mbps by setting the srr-queue bandwidth configuration to 50%.

Since you have a 6500 switch, you can probably do some policing so that when the bandwidth on that port reaches a certain threshold you can begin dropping packets. However, that will be more involved to configure and manage.

cjw

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card