cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G Not playing nice

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

So I have a brand new spanky 525G and am testing the various options with it. Here's the issues I am having:

1. You cannot provision it over wireless, it must be connected directly to the UC

2. Even if you choose to disable and save the wireless configuration, it always comes back on. I even completely deleted the wireless configuration, but it still keeps trying.

3. I followed the doc for the VPN setup of the phone and everything took fine, but when I set it up for VPN it looks like it works and the status says it's connected and tunneled, but I cannot get dial-tone and get Network Error on the screen (it works fine connected to the UC520 7.1.x) Now I did not call it the same name as in the document - Does it have to be called spa525g ?

4. The easy of use of just plugging into the remote site works fine, but when I bring it back to the UC and connect it, it still trys to VPN in? I have to manually disable the VPN on the phone.

5. The items above almost seem that the Save button is not doing anything on the phone....

The phone is running 7.4.3 SW and 1.0.0 HW.

When I check the UC it does not show me a SPA525 load, yet it configures fine so I assume it's using one of the other phone loads.

Also the UC VPN works fine using the Anyconnect client in full tunnel so I know that part is working.

It's getting frustrating, but I'll give it one more go; deleted the VPN phone config and change the name to spa525g and try again. If that doesn't work I'm going to be upset for such an expensive phone...but the wireless is cool

:D

13 Replies 13

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bob,

Some responses in line to your posts 1-7

1. You cannot provision it over wireless, it must be connected  directly to the UC

I provision mine over wireless all the time.  Not sure what you mean here?  For the first discovery and connection, I connect it, yes, but once I build it as a user, I use its phone GUI to build the Wifi profile and use that to connect and then provision it from that point forward over wifi.

Can you explain what you are seeing?  I have done provisioning and FW upgrades over wireless countless times.

2. Even if you choose to disable and save the  wireless configuration, it always comes back on. I even completely  deleted the wireless configuration, but it still keeps trying.

Have you tried Network Configuration: WIFI ON/OFF (not the Wifi configuration setting).  That turns mine on and off....

(note Ethernet must be disconnected to use wifi)

3. I  followed the doc for the VPN setup of the phone and everything took  fine, but when I set it up for VPN it looks like it works and the status  says it's connected and tunneled, but I cannot get dial-tone and get  Network Error on the screen (it works fine connected to the UC520 7.1.x)  Now I did not call it the same name as in the document - Does it have  to be called spa525g ?

If you are referring to the remote user name, no, you call it what you like.   Placing the phone in another network is what its inteneded for, but I cant tell you about your network, but would suspect there is a connection problem there.

4. The easy of use of just plugging into  the remote site works fine, but when I bring it back to the UC and  connect it, it still trys to VPN in? I have to manually disable the VPN  on the phone.

Yes, this is true.  Once set at a remote user, it will connect that way unless that is disabled on the Network Settings: VPN: CONNECT to Off, and it will release the VPN and connect locally, without having to reboot the phone or unplug it.   Notice that separte option 'Connect on Boot" which you can adjust as you like as well.

5. The items above almost seem that the Save button  is not doing anything on the phone....

More specifics needed here to help....what are you saving thats not saving?

6 The phone is running 7.4.3 SW and  1.0.0 HW.

That is the lates FW.

7 When  I check the UC it does not show me a SPA525 load, yet it configures  fine so I assume it's using one of the other phone loads.

No, it has a phone load, if you downloaded it to your system?

UC540#dir
Directory of flash:/phones/

4  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:18 -05:00  7975
   12  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:20 -05:00  7970_7971
   21  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:22 -05:00  7945_7965
   30  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:22 -05:00  7941_7961
   39  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:24 -05:00  7940_7960
   44  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:26 -05:00  7937
   46  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:26 -05:00  7936
   48  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:28 -05:00  7931
   56  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:30 -05:00  7921
   64  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:30 -05:00  7906_7911
   73  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:32 -05:00  5x5
   75  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:34 -05:00  525
   77  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:34 -05:00  521_524
   79  drw-           0  Feb 26 2010 15:45:36 -05:00  7925
  192  drw-           0  Mar 17 2010 17:01:30 -04:00  7942_7962
  190  drw-           0  Mar 17 2010 17:01:32 -04:00  7916
  193  drw-           0  Mar 17 2010 17:01:32 -04:00  7915
  194  drw-           0  Mar 17 2010 17:01:34 -04:00  7914

OK first things first, I do not have a 525 dir.

I can only find the firmware in downloads, do you have a link to the actual 525 phone load?

I will start with this then go through all the other tests and post my findings.

Sounds good.  If you open separate threads, Bob, it will be easier than 7 in one, OK?

Open CCA and go to the maintenance Drawer.  CLick on PLM and point to the bundle zip file on your PC.   Select the SPA525 and click upload.

That will put all the files and configuration on your system.   I hope you are using CCA 2.2.2 since we fixed a problem with PLM not working well in some cases (but some of these cases were CLI configured systems).

Steve

Ah, OK

My problem is that I do not have the phone load, only the firmware, I cannot find the phone load, where can I locate it.

I explained this in the thread 4 minutes ago (we maybe crossed in the mail).  The phone load is the FW.  You checked your phone and it seems to have it, so you are probably OK, but you really should have the config and the flash file in your system, following these instructions.

The latest FW 7.4.3 is in the latest bundle zip (8.0.1).

If you want to just do the new FW on an older UC500 bundle, then download it from CCO and "Drag and Drop" it on the UC500 icon in the topology view.  That does the same as PLM.

Sorry Steven,

This stuff does not seem to work for me; I cannot "drag and drop" on the UC icon, if I try to upload the 525 zip file, I get an error "software pack is not valid for this device, please provide corrct software pack".

I didn't want to go to the latest UC520 IOS/CME version, but I guess I will have to. I will download it and try everything again :(

The phone load can be dragged and dropped.  What were you trying to drage there?

Tried both the zip file and .bin neither work (this is Windows 7)

I am downloading 8.0(1) now....

CCA datasheet:  Operating System: 

Windows: Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 1  or later) or Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit or 64 bit)

Microsoft Internet  Explorer 6.0 or later, with Adobe Flash Player 10 or later

AHhh it's my fault for not running a 5 year old configuration ;)

hahaha.   no, that's just what the datasheet says is all :-)

When someone says on a public portal that "drag and drop doesn't work", that comes up in searches and the like.  The fact is it does work in the supported environment, and I just wanted to make that clear to whoever reads the post.  The team worked really hard to put that capability in CCA for SPA5xx phones.

Of course there will be cases where there may be a bug and it might not work, and I am not saying that your case is due to Windows 7, but probably is my guess....  If you think you have a bug, please open a case and we will do the usual diligence to get it solved.

Steve

I understand, sorry about that.

Let me do the 8.0.1 upgrade and we'll see what happens. I guess I am forced to learn 15.x IOS now anyway, hopefully it will not be on the CCIE lab :D

OK Update:

I upgraded to 8.0.1 it took 49 minutes, but went through fine (Nice job on the upgrade guys).

As far as the 525G, I blew away all previous VPN configurations and started fresh, I reconfigured the VPN Phone and after a few reboots It worked as advertised (Very cool by the way)

Now, that been said there are still a couple of issues (I can open a thread for each one if you like)

1. The WIFI is "always on" in that, if I turn it off and hit the save key, it still turns on after a reboot. It will work if the ethernet is not plugged in but seems to kind of be disabled when the ethernet is plugged in. Is this normal?

2. This one is a big one for us; the phone is not protected in any way once on the Internet. We do not allow split tunnelling so I did not configure split tunnelling in the VPN setup, and I followed the tech doc for setup of the VPN phone. The problem is CDP is beaconing on the internet (not good) and I was able to web directly into the phone and and see all the "goodies" and I'm sure I could reconfigure it or blow the configuration away.

I would like to know if this is normal and if the onus is on the configurer (me) to disable the web interface and CDP upon configuration for VPN. If so this should be in the tech notes, and it should also be part of the VPN phone configuration.

Thoughts?

Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: