cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Get router bandwidth utilisation

peckcp
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve got some problems trying to locate a particular counter using the Mib explorer. My Cisco router is 2801 Software (C2801-IPBASE-M), IOS Version 12.4(1a) I’m trying in vain to locate the input/output rate (in bits/sec) for two of my interfaces. I've tried  .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10) and .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16) both provide the total (accumulated) traffic in/out of the interface which is not what I need. Can anyone advise which OID should I use to get the input/output rate (in bits/sec) for the interfaces?

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe there is an OID for that. Most SNMP Managers use ifinoctets and ifoutoctets to determine the bandwith traversing the interface.

Hi Collin,

Thanks for the reply. Noted at there isn't an OID for the info which I need.

However, do you know who MRTG works? They seems to be able to display the results on the bandwidth utilisation at that point in time.

Your advise please.

Hi Collin,

Thanks for the reply. Noted at there isn't an OID for the info which I need.

However, do you know who MRTG works? They seems to be able to display the results on the bandwidth utilisation at that point in time.

Your advise please.

Hi,

In order to know about MRTG just check out the below link hope it useful information regarding MRTG calcultion of objects.

http://vegan.net/MRTG/countergauge.php

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh.H,

Thanks for the link, It does help to get a better picture.

It takes the octets and calculates bits from it. You should be able to find the exact calculation on google.

Hi Collin,

Thanks for the info, I have a  better idea now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: