cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP 720 Boot Order

stewartjs
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with redundant SUP720s in it.  My question is how does the 6509 determine which SUP to boot to?  Current it boots to the SUP in slot 6 and I'd rather it boot to the SUP in slot 5.  Is the boot order determined by lowest MAC address of something on the SUP or is their a config setting I can change?

Thanks,

Jeff

3 Replies 3

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jeff,

When power is first applied to a switch, the supervisor engine that boots first becomes the active supervisor engine and remains active until a switchover occurs.

A switchover will occur when one or more of the following events take place

The active supervisor engine fails (due to either hardware or software function) or is removed.

A user forces a switchover.

A user reloads the active supervisor engine.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeff,

both supervisors load the IOS image and they start to talk on the backplane

probably the faster one wins and is elected the active supervisor

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

stewartjs wrote:

I have a 6509 with redundant SUP720s in it.  My question is how does the 6509 determine which SUP to boot to?  Current it boots to the SUP in slot 6 and I'd rather it boot to the SUP in slot 5.  Is the boot order determined by lowest MAC address of something on the SUP or is their a config setting I can change?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Once both sups are booted and every thing is working correctly you can change slot 5 to be the primary by using the redundancy force-switchover

Be aware that now the new stand-by sup will reboot

From the config guide:

Conducts a manual switchover to the redundant supervisor engine. The redundant supervisor engine becomes the new active supervisor engine running the new Cisco IOS image. The modules are reloaded and the module software is downloaded from the new active supervisor engine.

The old active supervisor engine reboots with the new image and becomes the redundant supervisor engine.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: