Our management want to put the user's name on their phones now.
Is there any way I can edit the line text field for 500+ users using BAT and a csv file.
Or should I manually put the name in the line text field for every line.
Thank you very much!!!
You can accomplish this with BAT but you won't be using the Update Lines to do so. Update Lines for bulking the same change to multiple lines. This is a different need than making a custom change to each and every line. I usually do this by using the AXL/SOAP API interface and a custom script I wrote. But I don't think you will need to do this.
I believe you can export your devices from BAT and then edit the line appearances in the exported .csv file. Then you can re-import the records and make sure you check the box that says "overwrite existing". A summary of procedure:
1. Use BAT to Export Phones - All Details (you can do this by phone model or all models)
2. Edit the CSV that is exported. Remove any phone records you aren't planning to update
3. Edit the CSV that is exported. Modify the line appearances on the phones as per your requirement
4. After editing the CSV, upload it to CUCM using BAT>Upload/Download Files (target: phones, transaction-type: phones-all details)
5. Use BAT Phones>Insert to import the All Details record you uploaded. Check the box to overwrite existing record.
I recommend you test this on a small sample of phones before pushing this method to the entire environment. On your test sample you will want to do a thorough review of all phone configurations after insert (check BLF, speed dials, phone services, line configs, etc.). Use your phone as one of the test subjects and monitor the phone behavior during insert. You will see it re-register. You will want to note the impact to the user during the transaction so that you can be prepared for a bulk change to the entire environment.
The BAT admin guide for 6.1: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/bat/6_1_1/bat611.html
Please remember to rate helpful posts.