Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 vpn bug & question.

rwpatterson357
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Background:  I've fumbled around and succesfully established a VPN tunnel between a remote BEFVP41 and my office RVS4000.  Once established, i can acces the office server from a Vista box on my remote network by running this command - \\10.10.10.200 where 10.10.10.200 is the server IP on the office LAN.  The problem i was trying to correct was reciprocity - i couldn't do the same thing from here in the office to access a server on my remote network.  It only worked one way - from remote network to office.

On the office RVS4000 I had "Local Security Group Type" set to Subnet.  I wanted to experiment so I changed this to "IP" and put in the specific IP address of a computer.  Upon reconnecting the summary screen on the RVS400 reports that the remote BEFVP41 has connected TO A DIFFERENT TUNNEL!!!!

It connected to a tunnel on the RVS4000 that i had setup to work with a Greenbow client - TOTALLY DIFFERENT preshared key!!!  A key that had never been entered in the remote BEFVP41!

Has anyone seen this bug?  Is it a bug or operator error of some sort?

It is very reproducible.  When I set RVS4000 local security group type to "subnet" the remote BEFVP41 properly connects to the correct tunnel.  When I set the RVS4000 local security group type to "IP" the remote BEFVP41 connects to the wrong tunnel.

thanks,

rwpatterson357

1 Reply 1

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

What is the firmware you are currently using on the RVS4000?

Here is the link if you do not have the current 1.3.1.0 firmware.

Download Software for Cisco RVS4000 4-port Gigabit Security Router -  VPN : RVS4000_fw_1.3.1.0.zip

If you do need to upgrade to the latest firmware for best practices we ask that you do a factory reset and then reconfigure the RVS4000.

I would also ask could you show the settings for the tunnels taking out the information that you do not want to share with us.

Thank you,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: