Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN routing - Internet access out/in

iholdings
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I need to create VLAN-A - and be able to route to Internet via the Internet access router residing in VLAN-B.  I'm assuming inter-VLAN routing will accomplish this, but one other requirement is VPN access to VLAN-A via the same router in VLAN-B.

Is this possible?

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Greetings,

I need to create VLAN-A - and be able to route to Internet via the Internet access router residing in VLAN-B.  I'm assuming inter-VLAN routing will accomplish this, but one other requirement is VPN access to VLAN-A via the same router in VLAN-B.

Is this possible?

Hi,

Intervlan routing can be achive with two vlan just check out the below link for your requirement hope to help !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008015f17a.shtml

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In regards to VPN, assuming you are terminating the VPN on the router, you would be able to access both VLAN A and VLAN B. Just make sure that you have route for the VPN IP Pool to point towards the router for the return traffic.

Thanks for your assistance.

So, I could simply create VLAN-A and set the default gateway to the LAN interface IP on the router in VLAN-B?

Perhaps you could tell us what Cisco kit you have ie. which switch, which router, where the vlan is created, where it is routed ?

Jon

Assuming the switch supports inter vlan routing, here is what you need to configure:

1) LAN-A (192.168.1.0/24) -- (VLAN A 192.168.1.1) switch (VLAN B 192.168.2.1) -- (VLAN B 192.168.2.2) router

2) LAN-A default gateway would be 192.168.1.1

3) Switch default gateway would be 192.168.2.2

4) Router should have route for 192.168.1.0/24 network pointing to switch 192.168.2.1

Thanks for staying with this until I can get my head around things

So in my case, the core switch is a 6509.  The VLAN-B router is a 2800.

VLAN-A actual numbers are

10.1.6.1/24     (usable: 10.1.6.2-254)

VLAN-B actual numbers are

10.2.16.0/20     (access-router (2800) is IP: 10.2.16.2)

So what numbers would I apply per your diagram?

As per my diagram and using your ip addressing:

1) LAN-A (10.1.6.0/24) -- (VLAN A 10.1.6.1) switch (VLAN B 10.2.16.1) -- (VLAN B 10.2.16.2) router

2)  LAN-A default gateway would be 10.1.6.1

3) Switch default  gateway would be 10.2.16.2

4) Router should have route for10.1.6.0/24  network pointing to switch 10.2.16.1

Hope that helps.

OK - still a little unclear (sorry)

Per your diagram - the switch with default gateway = the router IP - is a IDF switch connecting back to the MDF-6509?

We will be deploying the IDF switch to a location in the network that will require this inter-VLAN routing - but there are other VLANS on the IDF switch that will not be using the VLAN-B router for Internet access.  We're looking at handling all special network/routing needs on the 6509 - and simply assign VLAN membership on ports on our IDF switches.

Can you share the network topology diagram and what exactly you are trying to add and route.

Inter VLAN routing on switch is very similar to routing on router. It is a layer 3 switch, hence it will route exactly like how router is doing routing, and you would also configure it the same way.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card