Newbie question - Physical switch / network jack identification

Unanswered Question
Mar 19th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi everyone

We are in a bot of a bind and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, if this is even possible.

We need to be able to identify the Network Jack when a device is connected to it (ultimately identifying the location where the device was connected at that time).  As the devices and locations may change I was hoping it would be possible to set the switch up to forward traffic from a particular port on the switch (which wil corelate to a port on a wal in a specific room) to a specific IP and port on a network server?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 03/19/2010 - 15:19
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Sounds like all you need to do is change the VLAN port assignment of the switch.

glen.grant Fri, 03/19/2010 - 15:21
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

I don't know of a way to do that .  The only thing I can think of is to make sure you have  snmp trap link status on all the switchports .  Then have someone in the switch  looking at it with term mon on   and have the person plug the cable in a out a few times and you should see that link going up and down .

Actions

This Discussion