Views
Helpful
Replies

New Background Image for IP Phones in CUCM 7.x

ma.romero
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I try to upload a image file *.png to my Call Manager 7.1 follow the administration guide.

I uploaded two images, one with one size and other with other size.

I uploaded the imagen from TFTP File Management to Desktops/320x212x16 and the List.xml is the following:

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/320x212x16/TN-Fountain.png"
URL="TFTP:Desktops/320x212x16/Fountain.png"/>

<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/320x212x16/TN-FullMoon.png"
URL="TFTP:Desktops/320x212x16/FullMoon.png"/>

</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

I can see in the TFTP File Management so the directory Desktops/320x212x16 didn't appear here and when I uploaded the images files I had to create the new directory.

I have permited to the user to change the logo in the Enterprise Paramenters but the usersw can't select the new backgroud imange because doesn't appear in the IP Phone.

In my CUCM appear the "Desktops/640x480x24" directory. Maybe I have to upload the image files to this directory?

Many thanks.

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You have to follow the instructions for the specific model of phones you have - each phone type requires a different picture size, which must be placed in the correct folder.

When you upload to TFTP, put the folder names separated with forward slashes (linux style). Both the XML file contents, and file name are case sensitive so any small mistake will stop it working.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

OK.

Thanks to all.

A greeting.

metalium2007
Level 3
Level 3

Hello friend,

You have to be aware that different phones use different folders in the TFTP Server.

For example, if you want to change the background in a 7961 series phone you have to upload the list.xml file and image.png and tn-image.png for a folder named:

/Desktops/320x196x4

The best way to understand the differences between different models is browsing through the support at cisco.com this way:

-> www.cisco.com

-> Tab Support, choose Support again;

-> Select Voice and Unified Communications;

-> IP Telephony - IP Phones;

-> Cisco Unified IP Phones 7900 Series;

-> Check the Maintain and Operate Guides, and choose the model of the phone you want to mess with the backgrounds

HTHelps!

met

PS. Be very careful when you  have more than on TFTP server in operation. Better to upload the list.xml and images to all TFTPs in use...or you might lose some functionality during outages of any server.

Many Thanks

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Miguel,

There are lots of good pointers in this thread already but I think there is one additional thing to look into.  From your original post it doesn't look like you are posting the thumbnail versions of the images you wish users to access.  For each image you want to make available to your end users, you will need two actual images (.png) files.  One is the actual back ground image that should be sized to accomodate the LCD screen on the model of phone you are targeting.  The second image is a thumbnail version of the first.  This is the one users would see in the list of images available to them.

As noted by a few folks in this thread, each Cisco IP phone has a different specification for the image sizes.  I have compiled a list over time (I have to update for some of the newer phones).  Check out the following link for a breakdown of image sizes, XML file structures, etc. for background images on Cisco IP phones.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/customizing-phone-background-images-in-cucm-5x6x7x.html

I also saw one of the responders mention Phone Designer.  While this can be a handy end user tool.  It is not an admin tool and does not give you a way to push images out to multiple phones.  Maybe it will be enhanced over time, because it would be really nice for admins.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Many Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: