cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound PSTN calls through SPA400

albright
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SPA9000 and a SPA400 connected behind a WRT54G.  Currently only one IP phone is in use and that is a WIP310.  The SPA9000 is running software version 6.1.5.  The SPA400 is running software version 1.1.2.2 and the phone is running software version 5.0.11(10301355).  Pretty much everything is working fine.  I can make and receive calls internally (this was with an analog phone connected to one of the FXS ports on the SPA9000).  I can receive calls from the PSTN through the SPA400 to the WIP310.  And, voice mail on the SPA400 seems to work fine.  However, I am unable to make calls out through the the SPA400 to the PSTN.

There were a couple of times when I did indeed succeed in making outgoing PSTN calls through the SPA400, but most of the time it doesn't work at all.  I have been unable to find the right combination of actions that enables an outbound call to be placed to the PSTN via the SPA400.

I did not use the wizard to install these devices because I have no windoze boxes to run it.  We only have MACs and Linux devices on this network.  So, all my configuration is via the web interfaces.

I realize I did not give enough data to solve this issue yet.  My question is what do you need next?  I can turn on a syslog server if you wish.  Just let me know what logging information you are looking for.  Also, if you need configuration information what format do you want it in?  -thanks.

-bob

14 Replies 14

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bob;

This should be pretty straight forward to go...I assume you are prefixing "9" before calling, otherwise call is considered internal.

Please setup SPA9000 debug log on proxy and line connected to SPA400 to see the interaction.

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Yes, I did prefix "9" before calling.

As for the debug info you are looking for, I'm not sure I understand

what you are asking.  At first I thought you wanted me to turn on

debugging on the SPA9000 AND the SPA400.  But after reading your

response a couple of more times, I think what you're asking for is

debugging strictly from the SPA9000.  Here is what I did:

In SPA9000 -> Voice -> System -> Miscellaneous Settings -> Syslog server ->

And SPA9000 -> Voice -> System -> Miscellaneous Settings -> Debug level -> 3

And SPA9000 -> Voice -> SIP -> PBX Parameters -> Proxy Debug Option -> Full.

And SPA9000 -> Voice -> Line 1 -> SIP Settings -> SIP Debg Option -> full.

I wasn't sure about that last setting, but that's what I *think*

you're talking about.  At any rate, I have included the logs in an

attachment.  Let me know if you need any other information.  -thanks.

-bob

Hi Bob;

Please set the IP address on the "Debug" server instead of the Syslog server. It looks like you have set it up right, but the logs are incomplete, need to see the SIP messages.

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the reply.  I have removed the syslog server and added the debug server.  Yes, the logging information is more voluminous.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need more.  -thanks.

-bob

Hello,

I haven't heard anything in a while.  I'm wondering if you're working on this.  -thanks.

-bob

Hi Bob;

Thanks for the reminder, I missed the follow up. For some reason SPA400 is sending a service unavailable message to SPA9000. This may be likely a configuration issue. Please send me the full html VOICE page of the SPA9000 in admin advanced mode as well as the Voice and setup pages of SPA400 configuration (please delete password and other sensitive data). Would like to have a look to see if there is any miss-configuration.

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the response.  I'm not entirely sure about what you're asking for, but I'll give it a shot.  I believe I have grabbed the web pages you are asking for.

I ended up with 13 separate files containing the different configuration pages.  But it appears there is a five file limit per message.  So I'm going to respond three times with the different attachments.

Let me know if you need anything else.  -thanks.

-bob

Hello again,

Here are the next five files.

-bob

Hi,

And the last three files.

-bob

Hi Alberto,

I messed up that last message.  I pushed the wrong button.  Here are the SPA400 files.

-bob

Dear Sir;

I suggest you change the following on the SPA9000 configuration [SIP] tab.

(<:L1>9xx.)

Please let me know if this works. Otherwise I would need to see all the SPA400 pages. BTW, how many PSTN lines do you have connected to the SPA400?

If this does not work I would need to see the other pages of the SPA400 pages. Also, please try to collect additional logs from both the SPA400 and SPA9000 using the syslog tool we provide (to make easier the reading).

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Okay, I changed the Call Routing Rule under Voice -> SIP -> PBX Parameters to the value you suggested.  This looks like the default value before I changed it and it didn't work then either.  And of course making the change didn't help.  :-(

I am running with just one single PSTN line to make it simple.  I'm not sure I know what the syslog tool is you're referring to.  Where would I find it?  I hope it isn't a windows application.  I don't have any windows boxes on my network.

-bob

Here are some tools for syslog:

Here are few I have tried:

Windows Cisco slogsrv

Windows Kiwi

Mac Mac NetLogger

I am sure there are a million others for a very common logging method.

The problem I see most of the time when configuring SPA400 with PSTN lines are either of the following:

Call Routing Rule

--------------------------

Here is what we typically use w/ SPA400 and PSTN lines: (<:L1>8xx.|<:L4{1,2,3}>9xx.)

L1 = SIP Trunk

L4 = SPA400 and the 1,2,3 are the PSTN ports

This script says use the SIP Trunk when using "8" as the steering digit and when using 9 use the SPA400 with Line 1, 2 and 3.

Phone Dial Plan

------------------------

Make sure your Phones Dial Plan are configurated correctly under PBX Phone Parameters on the SIP tab:

Phone Dial Plan: (<*97:vmm>|[8-9],[3469]11S0|[8-9],[2-9]xxxxxx|[8-9],<:1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|[8-9],1[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|[8-9],011xx.|[8-9],xx.|[1-8]xx)

Notice the [8-9] to account for 8 & 9. This is otherwise the default dial plan, but had to replace the [9] with [8-9].

Checking Registration Status

-------------------------------------------

I would get accustomed to checking the following to make sure the 9000 and the 400 are talking:

On the 400 check the Status tab and make sure you see the following:

SIP registration status: Registered

FXO Line status/Hook Status

Line 1 status: On-Hook

Line 2 status: On-Hook
Line 3 status: On-Hook
Line 4 status: On-Hook

On the 9000 Voice/Info tab (make sure you are logged under Admin/Advanced)

Make sure the line to which the SPA400 is configured on the SPA9000 that you see the following:

Line 2 Status 
Registration State: Registered

Finally

-----------

You may make a change and the systems may not all reboot and your changes may not be properly applied. This includes rebooting the SPA9000, SPA400 and the SPA900/500 IP Phones.

1. Reboot the SPA9000 and connected phones use this URL: http:///admin/reboot

2. Reboot the SPA400 using the admin web page

If these do not work, I would borrow a Windows machine and use the Wizard, you should be able to configure this whole system in less than an hour.

HTH,

Steve Wofford

Call Ctrl Call Manager for

SPA900 - SPA500 IP Phones

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I will try the syslog tools.  I ran out of time and had to dismantle the network for some other projects.  I will get back to it in about a week and let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

-bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: