Replies

Catalyst 3900 Clock Battery

pattya94191
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All Cisco gurus!

I purchased a Catalyst 3900 which is now throwing this error on boot

FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: SS_RTC_Initialize: The Clock's Battery is Dead

Now, im not TOTALLY silly, i've opened the switch up and taken the mainboard out, the backplane and the front panel indicators.

Nothing at all that looks like a battery!

So my question is, has anyone seen this or at least know where this battery resides

Or a circuit diagram?

I will leave the switch on for a few hours, who knows, maybe it will help, but while im in bed down here in the land down under, thought i would post this!

Thanks guys and gals!

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey All Cisco gurus!

I purchased a Catalyst 3900 which is now throwing this error on boot

FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: SS_RTC_Initialize: The Clock's Battery is Dead

Now, im not TOTALLY silly, i've opened the switch up and taken the mainboard out, the backplane and the front panel indicators.

Nothing at all that looks like a battery!

So my question is, has anyone seen this or at least know where this battery resides

Or a circuit diagram?

I will leave the switch on for a few hours, who knows, maybe it will help, but while im in bed down here in the land down under, thought i would post this!

Thanks guys and gals!

Hi,

It certainly does have a BIOS battery of some kind,But you still risk getting your warranty void just by lifting the lid of your appliance. what i would suggest you will need to use a SmartNet contract to open a Cisco TAC case.  They'll be able to assist you with this.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi there,

Thanks for the idea, but these switches were bought on ebay and are repaired goods. I don't think cisco would repair them, and i dont have support with cisco either, its only for a home CCNA lab.

Does anyone have any idea on where this battery is.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card