AP5122 DC 12V powering option

Unanswered Question
Mar 21st, 2010

Hi,

This is my first time to work on cisco wireless and I need urgent help.

I am trying to power up an AP1522 using the 4th option of DC 12Volts option.

I have a 12 volts power supply but the current rating is stating 7amps peak current and normal 6amp current.

The cisco requirements at the back of the AP 5122 unit states 12V 6.7amps

One of my question is...

1 - Is the Power supply with its rating enough to power the Cisco AP?    the power supply wesite is = http://www.gme.net.au/products/accessories/accessories-power-supplies-240v-ac-to-13.8v-dc/PSA126

2 - If Iam using a direct power source and if Iam also earthing the cable, would I still need the Lightning arrestor to protecting the network cable?

I thought lightning arrestors are for PoE only

3 - Cisco is saying for the network cable, it must be cat5e or better, can I still use cat6?

thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Fri, 03/26/2010 - 05:48

Pius,

Hopefully I can answer your question.... I have seen the post, but the Title confused me.... AP5122, should be AP1522:)

1 - Is the Power supply with its rating enough to power the Cisco AP?    the power supply wesite is = http://www.gme.net.au/products/accessories/accessories-power-supplies-240v-ac-to-13.8v-dc/PSA126

This PS should work since it is rated at 6amp - 7amp peak

2 - If Iam using a direct power source and if Iam also earthing the cable, would I still need the Lightning arrestor to protecting the network cable?

I thought lightning arrestors are for PoE only

Lightning arrestors are always a good idea especially if using copper... fiber will melt:)  It's a good idea!

3 - Cisco is saying for the network cable, it must be cat5e or better, can I still use cat6?

The higher the number the better... cat5 -> cat5e -> cat6 -> cat7

Pius Nolih Fri, 03/26/2010 - 19:36

Scott,

Thank you so much...

Now I can save my Companies face from a Salesman mistake who quoted our client with the 3APs and 1 controller 2106

The APs came with no other power options and we have till end of much to do the config.

I am a CCNA but haven't really touch wireless and was totally mixed up especially with using Controllers for APs,

I have downloaded few instructions and guides from cisco website and watch the CWNA Wireless Video so I guess this should be enough to start the project.

Once again thank you very very much.

Pius Nolih

Scott Fella Sat, 03/27/2010 - 08:10

No problem... question though..... why not hard wire the power to the 1522?  The reason I'm asking is that using a converter 24/7 might not be your best option and I wouldn't know the life expectancy of that device.  Power options are optional accessories, because there are different ways to power up these LAPs.

Pius Nolih Mon, 03/29/2010 - 15:15

Thanks. I have had a look into the other alternatives: and below are my reasons:

1 - Hazardous power, - I checked the AP5122 unit and the unit didn't come with it.

2 - PoE - Salesmen did not include that in the quote and client couldn't pay for anything more

3 - Street lamp option - Could not find any adaptor to go with it.

So we had to settle for the DC options.

Actions

This Discussion