Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Regarding Configuration revision number in switch

Hi Experts

There are two switch one is in vtp server mode & another is in Vtp client mode , both are connected via cross-over cable.

If there are 10 vlans created on server switch, configuration revision number is 10 & are propageted to client switch.

If we delete 2 vlans at the same time what will be the confiuration revision number.

Would it be 11 or 12

Thanks in advance.

Regards Suryakant.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Suryakant,

by two because a first VTP update is created when you delete first vlan.

A second VTP update is built and sent when you delete the second one.

This is easy to test in a lab environment.

regular VTP updates are sent every 300 seconds but a change triggers the server to send a VTP update

no packaging capabilities as far as I have seen up to now (may be in VTP version 3 Cisco might have introduced something but not in VTP vers.1,2)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Depends. Describe how you plan to delete these two vlans at the same time.

At the same time , that means one by one but immediately . I just want to know , whether switch will update configuration revision number by one or two.

Hello Suryakant,

by two because a first VTP update is created when you delete first vlan.

A second VTP update is built and sent when you delete the second one.

This is easy to test in a lab environment.

regular VTP updates are sent every 300 seconds but a change triggers the server to send a VTP update

no packaging capabilities as far as I have seen up to now (may be in VTP version 3 Cisco might have introduced something but not in VTP vers.1,2)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Agreed, but I'm wondering what might happen if both summary advertisements, after each vlan deletion, go out before the first subset advertisement. I have no clue what the advertisement values are but I'm thinking that changes made so close together might be combined into one subset advertisement vs two. Also what if the vlan deletions were tftp'd in and executed simultaneously!

Definetly one for the lab.

James

Suraykant

As Giuseppe has said 2 if you do it in config mode. But if you use vlan database mode which is the other way of modifying your vlan database then until you actually enter "apply" or exit and apply then the modifications are not made. So in vlan database mode you could delete both vlans then apply and only one VTP update will be sent.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card