cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Bandwith

Gmcgee
Level 1
Level 1

Have a RV082 in an office invironment. Just switched over to local cable company for data access. Current data package is 8Mbps down and One up.

Speed test from local machine never exceeds 1.5Mbps. Test from router never exceeds 1.5. Test from modem reaches a little over 8Mbps. Bottleneck

has to at the router (I think). Any ideas what I'm missing or what might congfigured wrong.

3 Replies 3

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

First, are you on the altest RV082 firmware, 2.0.0.18-tm?  Second, have you configured the RV082 for the proper MTU for your ISP?  Play around with it, but I often find 1492 is faster than 1500.  Third, have you configured the RV082 for the proper amount of bandwidth?  Finally, I recommend you configure your Internet port for the proper speed and duplex (at least 10 Full) and not allow the RV082 to Auto Negotiate the connection.  I have 20Mb/sec here and while I rarely see 20, I often see 15 with no problem so I know the RV082 is more than capable of the 8 you have (btw, even if I go direectly to a NIC I never see more than 15 here so it's not the RV082 either.

Brian,

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. Current firmware is 1.3.98-tm. I will upgrade this evening and try the settings you mentioned. Will post back later and let you know the results.

Be forewarned, if you have ACLs in the RV082 in 1.3.9.8-tm you will need to carefully test them after you upgrade.  We've had 2 instances where the customer had at least a page of them where they simply didn't work right or at all when the upgrade was complete so we had to factory default the router and reenter each of them.  Cisco wants you to factory default it anyway, but that's a royal pain and shouldn't be required.  Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: