cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two SSIDs on the same WAP

rbridgham
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1240AP in my companie's office.   We want to have two SSIDs setup on it, one for internal use (connected to the corporate VLAN) and one setup as a guest network for company visitors.  We can connect to either SSID and they both seem to be working ok however because the guest network is on different IP space (and a different VLAN), staff sometimes connect to the guest network instead of the office WPA protected network.  Is there a way to put a weighting on the SSIDs or to force the clients to use one as a priority over another?  We understand that employees could just not have the WPA password of the guest network but we are looking for an alternative answer.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

staff sometimes connect to the guest network instead of the office WPA protected network.

I wonder why?  Maybe they enjoy the guest SSID because it's less restrictive perhaps?  You can regularly change the password of the Guest SSID.

A option would be to run an auto logon with your supplicant

so it will load your work SSID at the launch of the laptop.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The autologin script would be ok if it was a windows environment however over 40% of our staff is using Macs.

It isn't because they want the Guest network it is because the Guest network is open so the Wireless adapter is finding two connections that both work fine, one with WPA for staff and one without authentication for guests so the adaptors choose either.  It is very annoying.  I am considering just putting a password on the guest network because it would work but I would still like to force the clients to chose a specific SSID if two are available.

B.Smeets
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know, you cannot force a client into a certain SSID without configuring it in some way. So I guess the only solution is good communication: tell your users to choose the right SSID manually, are probably the client will automatically stick with that SSID from that time on. We did it that way.

You also might use separate guest accounts on your guest password.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: