cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN LED Not Lighting up on new 891 routers

CWF Netman
Level 1
Level 1

I've just got four new C891 routers and have configured them for dual simultaneous GRE-over-IPSec tunnels each, and although the tunnels seem to be up, encrypting and routing data just fine, the VPN LED on the front panel of the unit stays off.

I am using two sub-interfaces on the Gigabit0 WAN port, since my two GRE tunnels from the C891 go to two completely different physical sites (each with a 3845 router), one for a voice VLAN and one for a data VLAN. I am not using the public Internet, but rather a private microwave WAN as my backhaul, and the need for subinterfaces was driven by the fact that there are two completely different numbered IP networks for interfaces which the 3845's each connect to the WWAN, and the C891 would not let me run an IPSec tunnel sourced from a "secondary" ip address.

I'm suspecting that the reason why the LED won't come on is because there's not crypto map on the interface itself, but on the subinterfaces instead, ,and a different crypto map on each subinterface.  Is there something I can do to force the LED to light?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possibly this bug?  CSCsv01869

HTH

View solution in original post

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like it is fixed in 12.4(22)YB1.  The downloads for this model are up to 12.4(22)YB5.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possibly this bug?  CSCsv01869

HTH

I think you may be right.

Reading about this bug seems to indicate that's what I'm experiencing here. I'm not using these routers as full-fledged ISRs, meaning that there are no analog phone interfaces active, and I'm not running any form of SRST or CML in them.... I'm just simply routing a subnet of a voice VLAN from one of the home offices over a GRE/IPsec tunnel to the remote offices.

By using the "show crypto tech-support command" I can see that both tunnels are up on each remote router and IPSec is fully engaged and encrypting everything that's supposed to get encrypted, and I'm passing data and making voice calls just fine.

Maybe they'll get this bug fixed soon, it would be nice for the non-technical end-users at the remote offices to be able to see the LED lit to help them know that the VPN(s) are up.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like it is fixed in 12.4(22)YB1.  The downloads for this model are up to 12.4(22)YB5.

YB5 fixed it!

That's great!  Thanks for the ratings!