Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1200 Series

dchirica
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just purchased an Aironet Wireless Access Point Prod. #: AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 with Cisco IOS 12.3(4)JA

In the instruction it says plug in a DHCP server and access the Web interface.

I did that I got an IP I am preaty sure because I looked in the lease table and was able to ping it. But I can not access the Web interface. I get Web Browser could not establish a connection with the web server... And I am sure I plugged into the enthernet port (I get a ping).

The Status light blinks Green then Red then Amber and cycles back. Ethernet light blonks green and the Radio blinks Red.

What am I supposed to do? Can't find anything in the documentation.

I do not have a console cable. So I would much rather do it over the Web interface as advertised.

Thank you,

--Dan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like the AP is loaded with LWAP image.

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

Don't forget to rate our post.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

Note This section  does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous  mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP  address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between  10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that  the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP  server is activated.

Step 3 Set the  timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 seconds.

Step 4 On the PC  where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any  software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall,  McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all  Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder  Options > View; then uncheck the Hide extensions for  known file types check box.

Step 5 Rename the  access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200  series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 6 Connect the PC  to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 7 Disconnect  power from the access point.

Step 8 Press and hold  MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9 Hold the MODE button  until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then  release.

Step 10 Wait until the  access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the  Status LED blinking green.

Step 11 After the  access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like the AP is loaded with LWAP image.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

Don't forget to rate our post.  Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer. When I try to access the link I get

Forbidden File or Application

error message. Is this a restricted page? Is there somewhere else I could find the info.

Thank you,

--Dan

Note This section  does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous  mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP  address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between  10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that  the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP  server is activated.

Step 3 Set the  timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 seconds.

Step 4 On the PC  where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any  software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall,  McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all  Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder  Options > View; then uncheck the Hide extensions for  known file types check box.

Step 5 Rename the  access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200  series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 6 Connect the PC  to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 7 Disconnect  power from the access point.

Step 8 Press and hold  MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9 Hold the MODE button  until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then  release.

Step 10 Wait until the  access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the  Status LED blinking green.

Step 11 After the  access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

Is there any other solution that I could use? Because this one is not working for me.

I setup a tftp server. It works since I could connect and download the file from a different computer on the LAN. Unfortunatelly the server does not log connection but as I said I connected and downleaded the file from a different computer.

When I try to do the same with cisco aironet I can't get anywhare. I did setup the IP to 10.0.0.2 and did waited for a long time but when I reboot it has the same syptom. Status light goes from green to red to amber and repeat.

Is this how the device comes from the manufaturer or I wonder if it was a returned device that was prior setup with the lightweight image? I bought this from newegg.In the description and some of the reviews it's mentioned the fact that it can be setup with the Web GUI.

Thank you for your help.

--Dan

Hi Dan,

During the bootup process of the AP did you hold down the mode button?

Did you directly connect your computer to the AP?

You can configure the AP if you have the autonomous IOS loaded.  The LWAP image will allow you to configure the AP by using the WLC.

Hi,

Here's what I did:

I connected the computer directly to the WAP I setup my computer with 10.0.0.2

I unplugged the power cord from the WAP, push the mode button, plug power back in. The status LED goes shortly blue, then yellow for while when turns kind of purple (one might call it red). All this time I hold down the mode button. Then while purple I still kept holding mode down for about a minute. I let go it reboots and ... nothing. I firt tried to connect directly to 10.0.0.1, no joy. I plug the WAP in the dhcp router it get's an IP but same thing status light blinks green->red->amber and back. Can't access Web GUI.

I'm mad as hell at Cisco. I boght these devices before and had no problem configuring them.

thanks for your help. I have no idea what to do now. I guess I will return them

--Dan

I got it working. It was as you said. It was timeing out when trasfering the file plus that initailly I grabbed the wrong file.

Thanks you for your help.

--Dan

Thanks for the rating.  I'm glad to see it's working.

dchirica
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between the account I am using to post this and CCO account. I am new to CISCO support, what is cco account?

I apreciate your help. Thank you,

--Dan

I edited my post when you posted yours.  Procedure is posted.

Thank you for the help. One more thing, do you know where I could get the file c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar ?

--Dan

You'll need to download the file from the Cisco website.  Go to Support > Download Software > Wireless > Access Point.

I got there and I have the following options:

Aironet VxWorks to Cisco  IOS Conversion Tool and Image
Autonomous To Lightweight  Mode Upgrade Image
Autonomous To Lightweight  Mode Upgrade Tool
IOS Software
IP Setup Utility (IPSU)
Management Information Base  (MIB)
VxWorks

Should I go to IOS Software (I assume). Do you think it's safe to pick up the latest release?

--Dan

Yes.  Go to the link of the "IOS Software" and choose the software version of your choice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: