Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Config on Ehternet interface

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a Layer3 1 gig ethernet interface on to which a 10Mb link has been terminated, i would like to configure QoS on the interface so that whenever the utilization reaches 10Mb it started shaping trafic. Please help

regards

Neo

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cisco@learn wrote:

Hi,

i have a Layer3 1 gig ethernet interface on to which a 10Mb link has been terminated, i would like to configure QoS on the interface so that whenever the utilization reaches 10Mb it started shaping trafic. Please help

regards

Neo

Neo

It would help to know which device you are working with. Be aware that the vast majority of Catalyst switches do not support shaping but there are perhaps other ways to limit the bandwidth. Need to know the device.

Jon

Hi,

Its a 4507 switch.

regards

Neo

Neo,

I'm sure Jon will provide you a better solution but the config below is taken from C4500 with shaping enable.

This example below is from C4500 (IOS 12.2(53)SG ) shows how to configure class-level, average-rate shaping. It limits traffic class class1 to a data transmission rate of 256 kbps:

Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# policy-map policy1
Switch(config-pmap)# class class1
Switch(config-pmap-c)# shape average 256000
Switch(config-pmap-c)# exit
Switch(config-pmap)# exit
Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet1/1
Switch(config-if)# service-policy output policy1
Switch(config-if)# end

Switch# show policy-map policy1
  Policy Map policy1
    Class class1
       shape average 256000

Regards

Francisco

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/40sg/configuration/guide/qos.html

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that you have a 10Mb connection connected into your 1Gb port on the switch? If that's the case, you wouldn't need to shape it back to 10Mb because it would only get 10Mb anyway....

Sorry if I misunderstood....

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

hi john,

but when i do "sh interface " it shows that traffic is going above 10Mb.thats why i want to apply QoS.

regards

Neo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card