How can I get my foot in the door?

Unanswered Question
Mar 23rd, 2010

Hi everyone,

I've been studying Cisco networking for almost 3 years, spent about ten thousand dollars on the lab, got my CCNA, CCNP and CCIP, but still can't get a JOB, not even even an entry-level network engineering job since having no experience. I have a bachelor's in business and I know that won't help anything.

So, my question is should I keep studying and pursuing CCIE or swithcing to MicroSoft or Linux.

Can anybody help? THANKS!!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cisco.xenpak1 Wed, 03/24/2010 - 01:16

Hi,

it seems, that you have been very disapointed since you spent all the money and the effort in your certification.

Experience has been a major factor for employers to hire.

If I were you, I still would work towards the CCIE, but also look for a entry position. I would definitly hunt for a CCNA position, even when you already got the CCNP. Then you can built the nessesary experience.

It´s like building your credit history. No credit without good history, No history without credit. Just start small and become big.

Keep your head up. It is just a matter of time till you find the right job. But keep in mind, that there is maybe a personal reloaction nessesary to get this new job.

Wish you good look.

Regards

ccnachangeme Wed, 03/24/2010 - 23:42

Hi cisco.xenpak1,

Do you think that CCIE will guarantee me an OK job? 'Cause I spent almost three years not working full-time just for study, and I'm thinking give myself less than two years for CCIE and I really don't fear the lab exam.

By the way thanks for your reply!!!

cisco.xenpak1 Thu, 03/25/2010 - 00:56

Hello ccnachangeme,

there is never a guarantee on this. But I would not study another 2 years full time for the CCIE.

I would look for a simple network admin job, then do the CCIE on the side.

When I was doing my certification I particularly enjoyed that I can try my theory on a live animal.

Regards

burleyman Thu, 03/25/2010 - 05:03

Nothing will guarantee you a job.

Here is what someone suggested to me to help with experience. Go to a not-for-profit organization, or a volunteer organization and ask them if they need help with network maintenance, wireless deployment, network issues, etc. They may not be able to pay but you could get some valuable experience for your resume. The experience does not have to be from a paying job to show it on your resume. Plus doing something like this would show your drive and willingness to the the extra mile. Also, it could help the organization greatly.

Mike

rgodden Wed, 03/24/2010 - 22:57

experience counts before certs and at the moment out of work ex

perienced networkers will get prioirity. Hold on the econom

y will change one day like it did the last time in the early nineties.

Actions

This Discussion