cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM upgrade - how to setup boot system

yanliu2007
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade FWSM OS - within V3.1, the cisco doc says copy the image to flash, I didn't see where to setup the boot system file, do i need to? just like we do for PIX/ASA? if yes, what command is it? and what command does show the image file? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

FWSM can only take one image. It will wipe the previous one when it copies the new one when you issue the command copy tftp flash:image

So, there is no way you can save it or rename it.  You may keep a copy of it in the disk: but the flash only can contain one image.

I would rather keep the older versions just in your tftp server just in case you need it.  You can also download it online at cisco.com

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cat6000-fwsm

-KS

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The FWSM can only take one image so, you cannot specify boot system.

copyt tftp flash:image  ---- command to copy the image

copy tftp flash:asdm ---- command to copy asdm.

dir flash:

will show you the image, asdm and startup config.

dir disk:

will show you all the other config files that you have.

-KS

thanks for the prompt reply, KS. can i give different names other than asdm and image? if yes, e.g. i rename the old one to image_old.bin, and the new one I upload is image_v314.bin, how would the system be able to tell boot from which one, or it just boots from the highest version. Thanks.

-YL

FWSM can only take one image. It will wipe the previous one when it copies the new one when you issue the command copy tftp flash:image

So, there is no way you can save it or rename it.  You may keep a copy of it in the disk: but the flash only can contain one image.

I would rather keep the older versions just in your tftp server just in case you need it.  You can also download it online at cisco.com

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cat6000-fwsm

-KS

thx, KS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card