cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Client "User Name" field is <Unknown>

qvoyles
Level 1
Level 1

I've got WCS ver 6.0.132.0 and I'm missing something.

All of the client "User Name" fields are shown as <Unknown> throughout.

Can someone tell me where WCS gets this info and how to get setup to where I can see what clients are associated with an AP other than by MAC address?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The controller actually listens to the EAP authentication communication between the supplicant and the authentication server and captures the username information.  I could see that if the user was not EAP authenticated, or used pre shared keys or was using webauth that this information would not be collected and then not sent up in the traps or during device status tasks.  Do any of these match the clients that show unknown?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you using an anchor controller and foreign controller setup?  I have seen issues with the anchor/foreign controller setup not propagating the username info properly and there are several bugs related to this issue.

No, I'm not using mobility anchors.

I've had this problem for awhile, that is through serveral versions.

I've currently got WCS at version 6.0.132.0 and my 4402's at version 6.0.182.0

Do you think it's a configuration problem or a software problem?

The controller actually listens to the EAP authentication communication between the supplicant and the authentication server and captures the username information.  I could see that if the user was not EAP authenticated, or used pre shared keys or was using webauth that this information would not be collected and then not sent up in the traps or during device status tasks.  Do any of these match the clients that show unknown?

That's my problem, I'm not using EAP just MAC authenication via ACS.

Do you know of a ACS fall back that I can use until I can get EAP in place?

Speaking of EAP, what would you recommend using, is there something without PKI that's still pretty good?

We're currently using Window XP clients, but going to Windows 7 soon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card