cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 blade locations? Can a 6516 fiber blade reside in slot 2?

ttrevino1
Level 1
Level 1

I need to add a new 6516 fiber blade to my 6509 and was wondering if slot 2 could be used for this type of blade? Is there a document somewhere that shows what slot can be used for what type of blade? Thanks, Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tony

With a 6509 and a Sup32 or a Sup720 then you can use any slot other than slot 5. Slot 5 is used for the supervisor. If you have redundant supervisors then you must use slot 6 for the 2nd sup but if not you can use slot 6 for linecards.

With a Sup1a or a Sup2 the supervisor goes into slot 1 and the redundant sup into slot 2 if you have one so same applies as above just different slots. If you had a SFM (Switch Fabric Module) with a Sup2 then the SFM has to go in slot 5 so you couldn't use that slot for linecards, but only if you use an SFM.

The 6513 is the only 6500 chassis where there are limitations as to where certain cards can be used.

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tony

With a 6509 and a Sup32 or a Sup720 then you can use any slot other than slot 5. Slot 5 is used for the supervisor. If you have redundant supervisors then you must use slot 6 for the 2nd sup but if not you can use slot 6 for linecards.

With a Sup1a or a Sup2 the supervisor goes into slot 1 and the redundant sup into slot 2 if you have one so same applies as above just different slots. If you had a SFM (Switch Fabric Module) with a Sup2 then the SFM has to go in slot 5 so you couldn't use that slot for linecards, but only if you use an SFM.

The 6513 is the only 6500 chassis where there are limitations as to where certain cards can be used.

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Jon

Hi John, thank you for the clarification. We are using the 720s, so we should be good. I appreciate the help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card