Views
Helpful
Replies

When to upgrade to Cisco IOS Releases

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are currently running redundant CAT6500 switches with various line cards.

I would like to know the reasons for upgrading Cisco IOS and software for various platforms if no bugs or problems are hit with the running setup. Can't it continue as such without any issues.

Secondly, how often should an upgrade be done. Should it be with every release and should one wait until the new version settles.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Pronoy Dasgupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello there, kind of a tricky question. The thing with IOS is that if you are running susceptible software on two identical boxes, then a bug might hit on one and not on the other. Upgrading the IOS periodically is a good excercise, apart from having more fixes are more stable from protocol perspective as well.

What IOS are you using on the box right now? With the 6k, using a safe harbor recommeded release is always a very safe option. Upgrading the IOS specifically would also depend on the kind of modules that are being used right now.

Thanks

Pronoy

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

dedra_live wrote:

Hello,

We are currently running redundant CAT6500 switches with various line cards.

I would like to know the reasons for upgrading Cisco IOS and software for various platforms if no bugs or problems are hit with the running setup. Can't it continue as such without any issues.

Secondly, how often should an upgrade be done. Should it be with every release and should one wait until the new version settles.

Thanks.

If there are no bugs or problems and you are running a supported IOS version then the only reason i can think of to upgrade is if you need new functionality that is not available in your current version. I am a big fan of "it it ain't broke don't fix it"

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are two school-of-thoughts, namely:  upgrade-at-your-own-risk(s) and if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it.

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect.  This is true when you're dealing with Cisco IOS.

I like to upgrade Cisco appliance.  It's quite addictive in the suspense.  (I know, I need "help"!)  However, before I attempt to do so, I make sure the code I'm upgrading to is tested.  First in an isolated network and then in a small production network ... like the data center (not!).

Before I even begin to contemplate about the code, I go through the Release Documents to ascertain whether or not I'm going to run over a few traps and gotchas.  Needless to say, there were several instances when I had to roll-back the upgrade and stuck to previous versions because the bugs I'm hitting can't be avoided.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card