Guest wireless access via RADIUS

Unanswered Question
Mar 23rd, 2010

I have a pretty big network.  In each of my remote offices I have an Aironet 1200 series AP.  I have configured all of them with VLAN’s.  In each site I have created a guest network and there is a separate SSID associated with it.  When a user connects they are prompted with a WPA key and then they can access the Internet.  The problem I have is the number AP’s has grown to over 30 and updating the WPA key is a very manual process.  My budget does not allow for an Wireless Access Controller.

Here is my question. When a user connects to my guest wireless network I want them to be prompted for a logon.  Can I achieve this with a RADIUS server?  Users would connect then get prompted for a User ID and password?  I could create a simple guest account and enable and disable it as needed.

Is this possible.  Is there a better way?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Wed, 03/24/2010 - 06:03

Since your running autonomous access points, the only way you can get a webauth page is to use a 3rd party software like ZoneCD.  Unless you want to use a radius, you will need to setup the clients using PEAP.  Guest access should be open or else you become resonsible for supporting the encryption/authentication method.  A WLC does webauth pretty nice, but then it will cost you.  Look at software like ZoneCD which are free... some cost though.

This Discussion