Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router and expansion cards

shahriar65
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

Please forgive my ignorance but I am new to Cisco router products and I would like you, the experts, in this field to help me in choosing the most economic router for the company.

We have an office (under construction and to be completed in 2 weeks or so) in a City with 40-45 node LAN.  The plan is to purchase 2 Panasonic TDA 200 hybrid PBXs for our telephony system (for office and factory).  Our manufacturing site is placed 25 miles away (again under construction), and these sites will be connected by 2 E1 lines: one for data and one for voice. e The E1 is more than what is required for voice (telephony), and as such we will multiplex and only use 15 channels out of 30 for voice and the rest would be used for data traffic.  We will get connected to internet (Office and Factory) via an ADSL line Modem over POT through adsl interface based in our office in the city.

There will also be requirement to provide VPN connections to our sales force in the field, engineering support team for factory machinary maintenace from Italy, and our Management Team based in UK.

I would be grateful for your kind help and advice on the Cisco router model, the expansion cards required, the security software, the SSL VPN licenses, the associate cabled with these expansion cards etc.  I know there are a lot of bundled options to choose from and as these routers are quite expensive, I do not want to invest in the wrong model and accessories.  I therefore would appreciate your help and advise on choosing the right router.

I also would like to let you know that, my priliminary investigation has lead me to believe that the Cisco 2811 or 2821 would be an appropriate candidate with the follwing cards and software.  Please advise what I would be needing (in terms of hardware and software within the Cisco router) in order to establish a secure, firewalled WAN and intranet connectivity?

HWIC-1ADSL  - Cisco WAN Interface Card High-Speed - DSL modem (Over POT)

VWIC2-2MFT-G703  - Cisco Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Interface Card G.703 2nd Generation - expansion module - 2 ports

FL-WEBVPN-10-K9=  - Cisco IOS SSL VPN - Licence - 10 users  (Do I need this?)

I thank you for your time and advice in advance

Yashar

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please locate a reputable, voice-certified Cisco reseller to begin with.

If you try this alone, you will fall into in costly mistakes, in some fact the codes you mentioned are wrong, while most others are missing.

Unfortunately, Cisco purchasing and configuration, is NOT for end users.

Thank you for your kind comments; That is exactly why, I am here to get the expert advice from the most experienced Cisco experts like good yourself to choose the right router, cards, software and the correct codes for that matter.   Once again thank you for your time and would welcome more comments on this matter.

Hi Shahriar,

No offense to you or your technical skills but this is beginning to sound like a network consultancy question.  You and/or your company is at a beneficial situation where the network is not in place and there's nothing to correct or nothing to change.  A consultant will be able to guarantee the network being designed will fit appropriately to your situation.

We do our best here but sometimes you really want someone there on the ground assisting you and "holding your hand".

Hope this helps.

Hi Leolaohoo

Thank you for your comments.  No offence is taken, as I already mentioned that I know very little about Cisco routers.  I am more 3Com person!  However, due to the location of the business and the monopoly on supplies the routers price tag is much higher than what I would pay in UK, even including the transport and customs and excise taxes etc!  In terms of the network design, all is done.  They are mainly and namely based on Linksys by Cisco PoE switching etc.  My problem is not being familiar with the Cisco hardware, software, and licensing codings etc.  I just need somebody with the knowledge of Cisco routers and parts to tell me the right codes for hardware, software relating to the modules and services I need.  They are VPN, ADSL, E1-G703 (Data and Voice), security pack and licensing for 2811 or 2821 routers.

Kind regards

Yashar 

Hi Shahriar,

As mentioned by others, it is advisable to contact your local cisco provider or resellers as they would be the best person to help you and your organization to achieve what you have attend and for future expension if any.

try to browse here: cisco partner

I am more 3Com person!

You mean HP? 

Leo, more like

Gentlemen!

Thank you for your expert advise; It has been educational and informative! I better leave before it becomes very personal.

Thank you once again

Hi Yashar,

Paolo was just having a "go" at me.  He wasn't being derogatory. 

Hi Paolo,

Wasn't 3Com being purchased by HP?  I know it wasn't Huwawei.

I have some of these taking dust in box and that is what is says ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card